1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best Webpage creating software

Discussion in 'Software' started by DMAthlon, 17 May 2009.

1. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

I need to make a pretty small website consisting of a home page and 5-10 more pages for my carpet cleaning company. I'm really well rounded with computers but I know little to nothing about web scripts and coding so I'd like to use something that's more clicking things than writing scripts, ya know? I have a pretty decent budget to work with so price isn't much concern so what's a good piece of software to use?

Thank you!

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Notepad?

But seriously, there's Dreamweaver, or if you want something open source, Kompozer, which is based on the discontinued Nvu.

Edit: I'd grab Kompozer and hit up Google for free CSS templates (such as) and have a go at modifying something you like. At the very worst, you'll learn from the experience.

Last edited: 17 May 2009
  3. DMAthlon

Huh-lare-yus

I'm thinking about buying a copy of Dreamweaver CS2 on ebay to save money because I'm sure not many of the additions to CS4 would be applicable to me at all.

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

why are you buying anything?

You have been given a good suggestion for a open-source webpage creator, and like silver51 said the simplest way to make webpages is by using a program everyone already has access to and that is notepad. Just grab a template that you like and tweak away in notepad until you get it the way you like. These app's that build the site for you only serve to make the site ugly and limited from your original vision.

5. DMAthlon

Like I said, I don't do scripts and coding. I need something with widely available tutorials and FAQS online.

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I haven't really kept up with web design, but back in the day NetObjects Fusion was the easy way to do web sites. Dreamweaver is the good way to do it, although that means getting into scripting (or "coding", if you will). There's only so much WYSIWYG in DW.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

DMAthlon, HTML and CSS are not programing languages... they are formating languages. I think there is like only 26-30 HTML most used codes. The rest it's CSS which is also formating, which allows you to make fancy stuff.

Example:
    <B>This text is bold.</B> But, not this one as it's outside the "B" container.

When I learned HTML when I was 8 years old (no joke), these were my friends for HTML:
    HTML Documentation: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
    Learn: http://www.w3schools.com/

Once you understand how HTML works, you can look out for CSS, and transform simple pages into extraordinary pages (with the help of a Photoshop-like software to make the images)

8. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  9. Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse What's a Dremel?

My advice - get a professional to design and build your site and then you can edit what you need in the future in notepad. That way all the money you spend goes in to the end product, no losing most of it on tools you don't need and finishing with an end product that is substandard anyway.

You can get a bespoke 5 page website for £399 from where I work. Assuming you already have a design drawn up and are down with slicing up images in photoshop for web use, it'll still take you a couple of days I bet to learn the software and put it together. Two days of your salary plus the cost of the editor, plus the risk of being rubbish at it and all the stress that may bring... worth £399?

That's not an advert for my company btw, I'm not going to say who they are, I'm just pointing out your options.

Hope it turns out ok.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

GoLive CS2? I used it and it seemed pretty good. Get a good book to go with it though! :)

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

notepad

12. DMAthlon

my friend actually has Dreamweaver CS2 which he never uses anymore so he's going to go give it to me because he uses CS4 now anyway.

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Notepad, no joke.
    Or if you really don't want to use notepad, then use Notepad++ ;)

You seem insistent on not being a scripter or coder, but there's no good reason not to start, especially when considering that you're also looking for the method with the most widely-available tutorials and examples online.

No amount of "how do i work dreamweaver" pages online will compare to the vast, vast library of HTML and CSS tutorials on the net.

Better to learn it properly once and have the skill forever more, saving yourself money and hassle.

14. barack

barack What's a Dremel?

i think you should go for trellian webpage software, it is one of the best for creating small websites like 5-10 pages as you mentioned above.If im not getting wrong its free to use also with "What you see Is what you get" editor.It is the editor which makes you to create pages with simple clicks only, no need to play with scripts or code.