1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Macross Frontier Side Panel tile spacers/glue for side panel part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by milotic858, 4 Mar 2009.

1. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Hey Milotic858,

The case mod is coming along Very nicely. Can't wait to see what you will do with the rest of the Raven. that case is a beast!!

- Ton

2. milotic858

milotic858 What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys for all the great support. I really appreciate it. :thumb:

I wasn't sure about the yellow. The first coat went on really wet and it didn't look like it was going to work. But it came out fine.

I agree the best part is peeling off the tape. At least this time I didn't wait for it to dry completely before pulling it.

The Raven is a really cool case. A great case that on its own has neat features. Plus, it has been fun to work with. There is just so much that I want to do with it. I am trying not to get side tracked.

I have some test etching for the side window coming up soon. :D

3. milotic858

Okay, if you haven't figured out yet. This case mod is based on the Macross Frontier character Ozma Lee. He is the skull leader and the "brother" of Ranka Lee. He has a laid-back style but takes his family and work very seriously. I would describe him as the overprotective brother, but only has her best interests in mind. He stands up for what he believes in and knows when action is necessary. He is very honerable as well as caring. One of those type of people that you can always count on to get the job done. Plus I love the intesity in his eyes.

Test etch. I have several ideas for the window of the side panel. This is just a test etch. It isn't exactly to size or on the correct size or shape of plexi need for the window.

First test image with a light engraving (oops the image i was going to put here isn't the first test. I will go back later today and find the right one.)

Second test image with a deep engraving

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think. I have a battleroid image of ozma that I will try out next.

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

how are you etching that? Laser I presume? Possibly chemical?

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Yeah the etching looks fantastic, could be a little bit clearer though.

6. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

This acrylic figure is amazing, I can only engraving or sandblasting such things.

7. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

The test etch isnt done by hand lol. you can see the lines were it was done but never the less its really good. If it was done with sand paper as well the line would not be perfect as they twist when you do it. Ive been working on different methods of etching and to get what i would consider a perfect etch you would be looking at laser cut. The cnc method is good but not perfect unless you use a real expensive system. Ive built a Dremel cnc system at home and well i could do a better job by hand esp in small detail. Im presuming if i had used better stepping motors (more expensive) and a better controlling board the effect and detail would be more precise.

over all though its real nice and i presume when lit the detail will show through relay well. When unlit you don't see the detail very good at all. Impressed with that and love it. Love the mod as well.

well done

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

BY HAND?! :jawdrop:

'nuff sed.

9. ChrisK

ChrisK What's a Dremel?

WOW!!!!! looks great

10. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Wow.. awesome etching.. if that is just a test, can't wait to see when you do the real one.

- Ton

11. milotic858

Right on mayhem... I appreciate everyones confidence in my modding ability, but the etching was done by laser. This was the only way I could get the precise cuts and details in this image. Because the image is a face, I wanted it to look right. The only way I could do that was with a laser.

:clap::clap::clap: I also want to thank THRASHER 2 for the plexi. Not only is he an awesome modder :dremel:, but he is a really cool guy that is dedicated to promoting the case mod community!:thumb:

12. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

could you do a pic with a cold cathode behind it just to see it better. Wishing id got my etched now with a laser. fancy seeing how it comes out with light.

13. milotic858

good idea:idea:... i will light it up and take pics to see if you can see it better

14. milotic858

SMS LOGO

The logo shown here is cut in two different layers. In order to create a raised logo. The bottom engraved layer of clear plexi allows the SMS logo to sit perfectly.

[​IMG]

I found some left over orange acrylic, that will have a really nice glow when lite. Cut and placed each piece on the bottom layer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom layer cleaned up

[​IMG]

removed the backing

[​IMG]

everything together

[​IMG]

15. perplekks45

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That logo looks awesome.

17. milotic858

Thanks :) will post pic of the skull leader logo soon. Hope to get these on the case soon, light them up and see how they look.

18. milotic858

Skull Leader logo laser cut
    [​IMG]

Boddaker likes this.
  19. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

woo that's crazy !! Eatching was ok... nice ... but this one and the sms logo with such a big step eatch is sick!!

20. perplekks45

Brilliant!