1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Recommend Me Some Speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ramble, 20 May 2009.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'm in the market for some speakers - I usually use my headphones so they don't have to be ultra-tasty or anything, they'll just be used for the rare times I listen to music/movies/games on them. I'd like medium loudness and medium sound quality but I'd sacrifice the loudness.

I don't have a whole lot of money for them so ideally anything below £40 would be great.
    I might stretch to £50 if they're superb.

Thanks.

2. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Logitech Z4

Note the "10% Off" Voucher they list on the page (10SPEAKER) bringing the price down to £36.

Haven't heard them myself personally however i've seen them (and they don't look too bad) and reviews say they're not bad on the loudness/quality side.

3. format

format What's a Dremel?

Second the for Z4s - I have them and they go very loud if you want them to. I use them at low-mid volume most times and they are great.
    Get them, £36 is a good price too.

4. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Bit of a left field suggestion but why don't you scour the classifieds for someone getting shot of speakers and an amp?

In my case I was having a chat with a friendly worker at the local tip, ended up being given a pair of speakers and an amp for nothing, only needed a plug and speaker wire. It hadn't even made it near the skip, the worker rescued it before someone threw it in the crusher.

5. Joekerh

Joekerh Penniless enthusiast

I like your suggestion Seraphim. I have an old Technics receiver and four old speakers set up on milk crates and a buffet. All I needed was a phono to rca cable and a phono extension. Its what I use with my laptop when I'm at home. Great sound.

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Thanks for the swift replies guys - I went for the Z4 because they're so damn cheap.

7. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

No difference IIRC,

I believe the "40W" figure is the RMS Wattage whilst the "80W" figure is the peak output which is usually twice the RMS.

9. supergeek09

supergeek09 Supergeek09

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

USB speakers are awful for music or nearly anything. No power behind them and they're tinny like laptop speakers. I suppose they could be OK for watching online TV or something, but I can't think of any situation where I'd choose them over full-size speakers.

I know you've bought them already, but I'll put in ANOTHER recommendation for the Logitech Z4: I bought some 1 month ago, they are certainly impressive. Turn the bass on full, and then put it up on an equalizer too and it sounds real good.
    The whole kit is really well put together, though I was tempted by the model up which has 5x the power output (RMS, not peak) for only double the price.

I just wish I'd known the Z4s were on Comet, I paid £10 more at Ebuyer :(

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'd prefer setting up an Amp + 4 speakers with a Coax out from the mobo, sure it's not as hefty as a sound card, but it does it's job damned well...

Plus I get Dolby Digital(not that it matters).

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?