1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Do Overclocking Tournaments Work?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 21 May 2009.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Let's face it, the mainboard business is rather rough, I mean you could just pick about any board and get a decent 24/7 oc out of it, so advertising is important, unlike lets say toilet paper which is advertised on tv mainboard mainboard manufacturers just chose a different way to push brand recognition.

2. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

hey thehippoz. well.. there are always those that try to cheat. Many bench mark programs try to create checksums results to validate the score. When you put a dozen benchers in the room with media and HD camera everywhere, its hard to try to photochop results :)

- Ton

3. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

Why not:D
    OC = boring
    Moding = amazing

4. bridgesentry

But, there re 2 type of OC out there
    + unplayable (subzero cooling)
    + playable (watercooling)
    I love watercooling:blush:

5. bridgesentry

PS: If I have that much of money, 24/7 nitrozen smoke sure be amazing fun:duh:

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The classified may only be pro for overclockers, but the sales will most likely filter down to lower boards in the range. Same goes for the tech used in the classified - in a short time no doubt some aspects will be seen on more consumer class boards.
    F1 tech doesn't make itself into road cars in 6 months, it's usually a whole design cycle (at least) before watered down tech makes it through.

7. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Le Mans for Overclocking. 3 day event (Fri -> Sunday) and the teams have to provide a stable overclock for a reasonable period of time (10hours?), team with the highest clock wins. Pretty simple. I mean 60 hours is plenty of time...

8. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i see it as a bit of fun, nothing more. besides all it proves is that cpu/ram/mobo combination can bench a certain score under very special conditions.

9. Panther57

Panther57 AMD Dragon Fan.

Since the current OverClocking Contests do give information for R&D there is a Big Use for them. The Best of the Best getting knowledge and experiences that give answers for advancement.

But, for an OverClocking Contest that tells the everyday user how beats who, I think only the Processors need to be the same models. It would be good to see how different Boards, Memory, Video and other aspects make for a great OverClockable system. Just keep it fair as to equal number of Video Cards, size of memory and any other common items, but it can have multi levels to cover the different classes. Then we could see that if we were to use a specific CPU, what other equipment would I want to have?

Don't you think that would give us real comparisons to use and the fun of doing good aginst others. Yea, winning would be good also...lol

10. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I'd say, it's actually the exact opposite of your opinion.

OC = Makes the most out of your money. Very helpful practices.
    Modding = wasting your money, period. Looks surely helps a lot of setting up your mood but you won't be looking at your case when you use your computers.

Well, IMO, I always thought case-modding as an activity which waste your money, time, and resources. It might makes you proud for some time but I would say, not longer than a few weeks, if not days, or minutes? :p

A: "Ahh.. you have a cool case! (like I care)"
    B: "Thank you"
    And it will be forgotten in like 5 minutes or so lol. So what's the point?

// Just my 2 cents.

11. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

@Highland3r lol what a crock of...

What "Tech" exactly do EVGA put in the Classified that is so ground breaking?? The I/O chipset is an Intel X58, the southbridge is an INTEL ICH10, the board meets the INTEL reference design spec. See the pattern emerging?? Seems like Intel did all the engineering and hard work actually; not some motherboard vendor that sticks their sticker on the products.

All they have done is place beefier VRMs and changed the layout which is not cutting edge technology. It is hardly groundbreaking compared to any other X58 motherboard.

I actually think that the OC competitions are a total waste of energy, time and resources. Why the hell do I care if AMD can OC a Phenom II to over 6GHz( I actually own a Phenom II 955), and I certainly couldnt give a toss if this Shamino guy gets a high OC on his X58 motherboard. It really doesnt help me or the majority of others with overclocking.

Now Bit techs guide how to overclock the 720 BE. Now that is mighty helpful! :)

12. Slaymate

Slaymate bit-tech Slayer

Actually shansmi is extremely helpful to a large number of overclockers. He's created quite a few good overclocking guides. And if you own a EVGA mobo and you go to the EVGA forum looking for overclocking help he will probably be one of the 1st to help you.

13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I think the Classified is a bit in a special category, I mean it costs 404£ or 650$ + shipping (at the only shop that claims to be able to get hold of some of them at some point, the other shops just have no idea if they will ever get any).

At above 400£ and with a horrible small supply it can't sell regardless of advertising effort, but if you look at the "normal" mainboards, let's say something like the Asus P6T Deluxe advertising might stop someone from buying a MSI X58 Pro or a Gigabyte X58-UD5 instead.

14. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

The point is exactly the same as why people mow their lawn or buy a pretty kitchen table.
    When you upgrade and personify an item to suit your individual taste (taste, not need!), it will be more enjoyable to use.

Modded cases are a nice ePeen enhancer, sure, but my main goals when modding are in the entertainment value for me and others (see worklog in siggeh) and the joy of creating something beautiful.

So, put in those terms, the money that i sink into it (about 100-150 euros a month) is peanuts compared to other hobbies. I'm actually getting great value for money here!

Could you please enlighten me on the value for money when we are talking about overclocking events? I mean, the LN2, the trips around the world, the burned hardware, the boothbabes... it's all pretty damn expensive stuff!
    Wait, please refrain from explaining value for money on the boothbabes point, i totally understand that one, but all the other stuff?

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the boothbabes hehe whenever they hold an event in taiwan it's like full metal jacket up in there.. bunch of asian hotties and 50 white guys taking pictures XD yeah that's basically what it comes down to

Tags: Add Tags