1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 41 Million Licensed Americans May be Unfit for Roads (take the test)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gooey_GUI, 20 May 2009.

1. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

It works ok in practice as its the "norm" there, must admit first time was weird, kept expecting a blue light stop :) And fully agree with All cars stoppig 4 school buses. A few kids killed around here (N E Scotland) ovr a few years, stopping me car 4 a few minutes no big deal vs a dead kid.

95% - missed yellow junction one :)

Last edited: 22 May 2009
  2. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

You need to check your mirrors a bit more often, ambulances dont just sneak up on you.:nono:

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The only time you don't have to pull over and stop for emergency vehicles approaching from either direction is if you are on a divided road and the emergency vehicle is on the other side of the divide.

Around here firetrucks often need 3 or 4 lanes to to dodge around people who don't pull over and stop - they just stop where they are.

john

4. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

I got an 85% and I don't even have my full license yet. I also think a bunch of questions were badly worded and some arbitrary (the "3-second" rule and the 100 feet seem very random). I'm also not too surprised that NY drivers ranked lowest - go to NYC for a day, you'll see taxicabs flying to the next red light, almost be hit by impatient drivers, and see double/triple parked cars everywhere.

5. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Got 85% which seems fairly average, not bad seeing as I and all the other non US citizens drive under a completely different set of rules. Got the steady yellow light and indicators (turn signal) ones wrong. 100ft? not in town, it could be 1 of 2 turns in some places at that sort of distance

The 3 seconds bit isn't just made up, it allows a safe braking distance if the car in front stops suddenly .. or hits a truck. I was taught the same by an ex policeman, recite "only a fool breaks the 3 second rule" as the car in front passes a fixed object, if you've passed that object before you finish you're too close.

6. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

I got 80%, but mostly it is because I am not familiar with American road signals I guess. A diamond sign in Australia is always 'Give Way', and a flashing yellow light means give way to pedestrians if there are any.

Can someone explain the stupidity of your school children? I mean, both lanes?!

Laz

7. Jake37

Jake37 What's a Dremel?

Its a wonder that there has not been more incidents!:read: