1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple GeForce G9400M

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slaughter, 25 May 2009.

1. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Well hi guys,
    In Christmas I asked what should I get a macbook, in exchange for my pc or a Samsung NC10. Well I meant with the latter with which I am more than happy! So know, my pc has to go, fathers business. Here in Greece prices for apple products are like 100-400E more :grr:. So I am thinking of asking him for a screen. Now my first question is, i am buying my mini from america and its coming here in july with my cousins, will the 9400m be enough for 24 screen for lightly photoshop and everything a geek does without gaming, and video editing? Should I ask for a LED CINEMA DISPLAY or should I look for something else, fyi dell doesnt give us the nice screens nor is easy to find the hp one... So guys what should I do?

2. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

For 2D work the 9400M will be fine for the resolution of a 24" screen.
    The Apple scrrens are expensive but they do look nice :) I don't see why Dell shouldn't let you have their good screens, are you sure? If it will be coming from America with the Mini then I am sure you will be able to get a good choice.

3. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

The Top Spec Mac Mini is a great standard Computer, and for 2D Work. Might Struggle a little with Audio Editing.

If your going to get a Mac Mini and a 24" ACD, why not Get a 24" iMac? Same Screen, better hardware, pretty much same price, cleaner setup.

4. Slaughter

Well guys I think you missed the point there, the 24 entry imac is the same as a mini except more ram and bigger hard drive, my cousins are coming from america so they can bring small stuff they cant bring screens and such so the point is buying the mini with 400Euros from america (here is sold 726euros the entry level mini) and let my dad buy me a screen will the 9400m handle 24" screen for watching movies internet coding and such? And should I choose a Apple Screen or something else...? I can get the iMac its too expensive here!

5. Digitalize-

Yeah, the 9400m will drive a 24" Screen fine, Not Sure about 1080p Content, but should be fine with everything else.

The 24" ACD Compliments the Mac Mini great, gives it a iSight and Mic, and some more Ports, but its limited. a Dell 2408WFP For Example is much more expandable.

If its just gonna be used with Products with a Mini Display Port, go for it.

6. Slaughter

Well what do you mean expandable? You mean better in quality? Or from another angle what do you mean that the ACD is limited the only thing I am conserned is the glossiness :worried:

7. Digitalize-

I Mean the Apple Cinema Display Can only be used with Things equipped with a Mini Display Port Connector, Nothing Else.

The Dell i mentioned has like 8 Inputs, Dual DVI's, HDMI, Displayport etc.

The Glossiness shouldnt be a problem if your desk isnt in front of a light source, the screen is so bright it counter acts this.

Also, get an Apple Keyboard, its much better for use with a Mac.

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think he's referring to the fact that the Dell screens have many video input options, but the Apple displays just have one.

I use an older Dell 24" (2405) on my Mac Pro and have never had any issues with it at all - it's great. I know several people that swear by the Apple displays when it comes to color-calibrated work, but all of the expensive (read: good-quality) Dell displays are fine in my experience.

As for the Mini - can't go too wrong. The laptop hard drive inside of it will be the biggest bottleneck in terms of general responsiveness; you should see performance along the lines of an entry level Macbook or iMac.

9. Digitalize-

Well, the Current 24" Cinema Display has 1 Input, a Male Mini Display Port. so it can only be used by things with a Mini Display Port (Noticed a Netbook Bit reviewed had one)

10. Slaughter

Got it... its ok if I get mac mini it will be fine, non the less I am going with this plan, maybe upgrade to ssd and ram when prices get down too...

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Digitalize, I have to ask you. I don't mean to offend, but how do you decide what to capitalize? I think everyone has seen random forumers that capitalize words willy nilly, and this is my first time in a topic with one of you. :)

What plan do you mean? I personally despise glossy screens, so some of the newer Apple ones are no-go for me. I hope you mean you're going with a non-Apple display. They're nice and all, but they're overpriced a bit, and really not better than your average screen by Dell, HP, Samsung, etc.

12. Digitalize-

It really is random to be honest, i have no idea why i do it, seems to me like anything thats a product name, name of anything reall gets it.

Also, your second part is wrong - The 24" Apple Cinema Display uses a H-IPS Panel, which no other monitor under £1,000 uses. The Penalty is its limited ness.

13. docodine

What's the diff between H-IPS and S-IPS?

14. Slaughter

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=h-ips+vs+s-ips
    although Hp 2475w has H-Ips it seems that there is a minor problem with a bit more red and the dell has a bit more blue... It seems the best choice but I am going to wait and see if apple will release a mat screen! :blah:

15. Digitalize-

If they dont by the end of WWDC, just buy a screen.

16. Slaughter

Ι know I am waiting for snow leopard anyways, so waiting is not a problem...

17. Slaughter

Its ok anyways I was going for entry 24 model imac which has kinda same specs with deference in the ram and hd, I am buying a 1 terra my book and prolly when ssd prices fall upgrade as well as with the ram!

Now I am waiting to see if apple will release new screens, also love the wireless mac keyboard any problems, dont like mighty mouse though, so any mouse recommendations that go well with the mac, my razor deathader is great but it has a cord, and I hate cords! arg...

18. Slaughter

So another question, I am planing on changing my screen setup as I already mentioned but would the 9400m be able to run 1x24 and 1 20 or 19 in portrait mode? And if I go that route the second model with double the shared memory (from 128 to 256) should make any difference?

Also smthing else but I dont think its worth a new thread, I am running a MS Ergo 4000 would kinesis be an upgrade? Would I like it, any one?

19. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Yes it can cope, but the Mac Mini may not have enough video outputs so watch out for that

20. docodine

You can't really 'upgrade' such high end keyboards, it's more which you prefer to use. If the Ergo is bothering you, head over to a big store and give their keyboard section a try.