1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iTunes 8.2 to bring Blu-ray support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I don't believe it. If they're going to add Blu-ray support it would be via their DVD player app. Maybe they're going to provide "Blu-ray Quality" digital downloads within Itunes.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2009
  3. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

don't quicktime and itunes share codecs and some base code. maybe the update will come in a combined itunes/quicktime package and then you'll have to play blu ray films using quicktime. seems unlikely to me though, surely it would be added to dvd player as mentioned above

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I'm no Apple lover but I do agree that digital download is the way forward. I know I can't do much with it now as the decades old BT copper wire connection I have today only runs around 2.5meg. However my next house purchase will almost certainly include a VirginMedia broadband check before I agree to purchase. As for iTunes Blu-ray support, I couldn't care less as I don't use it or any Apple products.

5. bubsterboo

Yes. The Quicktime codec system works as a framework I believe. Finder, Itunes, all sorts of apps use the same decoder software built into the OS.

The reasons why I find this so hard to believe, and why they don't have support already:

(mostly speculation) - Sony probably has a incredibly strict set of guidelines for licensing Blu-ray, which Apple of all companies wouldn't like. Especially since they'll want to do everything to avoid DRM techniques being leaked from playback software. Want to enforce HDCP compliance to avoid them from being digitally captured. Want to avoid them from being digitally screen captured within the OS itself etc...

Currently Quicktime's decoders are not up to decoding Blu-rays. If you try to decode a 40mbit H264 stream with the same profile found on Blu-rays Quicktime will choke even on a fast computer. So It's most ideal to implement Blu-ray support when the OS is capable of hardware accelerating Blu-ray material. Which should all be possible in snow leopard with the introduction of OpenCL.

So I wouldn't expect any kind of Blu-ray support on Mac OS until Snow Leopard.

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Strange since how negative Stevie was about bluray licencing when he presented the unibody laptops for the first time...

7. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Maybe for rental, but not for owning. I find the handcuffs that DRM puts on me a little too tight. (Want to sell your move, tough. Want to lend your movie, tough. etc etc)

Good luck streaming or downloading 1290x1200 at 40.0Mbps

8. bubsterboo

Yeah. If Itunes were to implement "Blu-ray Quality" digital downloads. They wouldn't be any where near actual blu-ray quality. Most likely 11mbps or so low profile H264 just like what you'll find on their 1080p trailers.

I would love to see Blu-ray Support on macs. I own a MBP and love it. But I don't believe it's coming quite yet. I'll believe it when i see it.

Another interesting point I'd like to make: Itunes is currently identical in terms of features for OSX and Windows. If they were to include Blu-ray Support in Itunes, would they include support for the windows version? Or perhaps require a "Pro" purchased version of Itunes like they have for Quicktime to unlock that feature for Windows users?

Last edited: 30 Apr 2009
  9. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

If support was released for itunes it would be for quicktime as well, as other have said. I would imagine iDVD runs off this as well, meaning support will be added for that simultaneously.

10. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

im currently on 20meg cable provided by virgin.

we get speeds of a 10meg connection, multiple tests such as speedtest.net confirmed it, we are within 1 mile of the exchange.
    we get capped if we come under the top 5% (i think) of downloaders by 75%

we brought the "unlimited 20meg" connection for unlimited, fast internet use... our house of 6 gets capped to no end giving our, in reality, 10meg connection capped down by 75%, a pathetic speed spread thin amongst all users.

so, with this mini rant over, i must only advise you to reconsider your priorities in terms of propety selection.

11. t11chb

t11chb What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i'm with you man, i don't have cable and went with Virgin, i downloaded Quantum of Solace HD on iTunes (3.68Gb) Tipped me over the 3Gb Weekly limit! So they limited me to 80Kbps for the enitre week. I gladly paid 140 quid to get out of the contract and move to BT where there are no limits. Anyone considering going with virgin, DON'T!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

12. t11chb

t11chb What's a Dremel?

Back to Blu-ray.

Digital downloads (on demand) is going to be the future. But everyone needs to move with the times at the same speed. For example when i was in the US i had 50Mb broadband which i thought was fast then discovered that Comcast was testing Wideband 25Gb, under 5mins..WoW!! :clap:

You can get 2TB HDDs now too! Which will get bigger, Apple TV & (Macs) should come with Built in Blu-ray. So you can watch DVD/BD or download FULL HD from Apple when they think of that! It gives us the user the choice, i mean we pay for the stuff! :thumb:

13. t11chb

t11chb What's a Dremel?

I can see that happening, i was reading a page on apples site, quicktime i think and it was stating the bitrates for H.264 and it does state that it can play Full HD, with the changes in bandwidth & storage i definitely see it happening.

I have 2 1TB Timecapsules wired to my Apple TV, i have 430 Movies & 1200 TV episodes and still find it amazing having all that on those little boxes, imagine the space you'd use up if it were discs :jawdrop:

Tags: Add Tags