1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V No Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by czm, 1 Jun 2009.

1. czm

czm What's a Dremel?

Just a quick question that I cant seem to find the answer for.

I built a media centre with a 3870XT Sapphire Card. I had the media PC hooked up to my 40'' Samsung 1080p TV via the HDMI cable using the DVI ti HDMI adapter that came with the card.

I just sold the 3870XT to a friend as he was desperate so I stuck in my old 7800GTX card in the media centre.

my question is reagrding sound..or the lack of it......

When I had the ATI 3870 card in I was getting the audio from the HDMI, I had my TV hooked up to my Denon Amp so I was gettign some nice audio.

Now with the 7800GTX i am not getting any sound...why is that? Is it because the older card do not support audio over HDMI?

If this is the case..what the best way to run the audio through my amp from the motherboard (Its a Asus Maximus Extreme btw). Woudl it be the SPDIF cable from the mobo to the amp?

Thanks for the help

2. rOBvAN

rOBvAN What's a Dremel?

On some 7800s there is a SPDIF header on the card to send audio over HDMI.

3. czm

czm What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply but there is nothing on the card apart from the 2 DVI ports and the black 8 pin VIVO thingy????

4. rOBvAN

rOBvAN What's a Dremel?

Then you're out of luck as far as audio over HDMI is I'm afraid :(

5. czm

czm What's a Dremel?

yeah thats what i thought. I will still get 1080p ove the HDMI thou wont I??

Can I use the SPIF from the mobo to my amp??

6. rOBvAN

rOBvAN What's a Dremel?

Yes you can get 1080 over it and yes, SPDIF to your amp will work, which is even better than HDMI if you have 5.1/7.1.