1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Lynnfield overclocks to 5GHz

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. dec

dec [blank space]

awww man the 4ghz club is getting shut down already?

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Too many Intel news too frequently. What is someone looking to upgrade supposed to do now?

4. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Lol, Agreed Dragun. I think I may just wait till the end of the year to get a i5 and GTX3##

5. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

That's extremely impressive!

I will be waiting in anticipation for Bit-Tech's review :D

6. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

What socket does it use ? (ie. Can it replace a Core i7 ?)

7. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Then... i7... What is it for? Only because of the tripple channel?

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It uses socket 1156, so no, it can't replace an i7 (which uses socket 1366)

This all sounds very wonderful, but if they're ES chips, means bugger all. Show me retail available chips doing this without breaking a sweat (and not getting close to their thermal limit) and I'll think about getting enthusiastic.

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

5Ghz Quad Core you say? Phwooaarrr!

10. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

11. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

So why is it so much better at overclocking than Core i7?....I would imagine another stepping of the latter will be out soon with similar performance?

12. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

i5 and i7 are completely different in terms of interconnection with the rest of the components in the motherboard.
    IMAO, the i5's biggest limitation is the number of PCIe lanes that come from the CPU directly (20?). Of course that this isn't a problem for the majority of consumers (you can split 16 lanes across two PEG slots). So apparently the i7 is for workstations (that don't need ECC RAM?) and enthusiasts (like the Skulltrail was, only this time is cheaper and less power hungry, I think)...

13. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond What's a Dremel?

Intel was trying to get the CPUs with the highest profit margin that are based on the Nehalem architecture to the market as soon as possible - the Xeons. They didn't have a new ICH ready so they gave use the X58 + ICH10R and a non-Xeon chip for the Enthusiast market. That way they had presence in the high-end user segment that bought them enough time to complete the Nehalem architecture. i7 has a lot in common with the Xeons because it is a server chip that was made available to the high end market, while the mainstream product, the i5 uses a different design that is much better suited for desktop users. For example, the PCIe lanes to the video cards are connected directly to the CPU and do not go through the Northbridge - which possibly means better performance in the i5 than in the i7.
    BTW socket 1156 has different mounting holes than 775 AND 1366 - what a ripoff!
    I for one think that Intel has screwed us over with yet another one of their temporary solutions just to buy themselves enough time to create the "real" solution. I will stick to my overclocked Q6700 until i5 comes out.

14. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Big-pimping.. Thats my next build on hold, look forward to seeing the bit-tech review :D

15. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Quite so.

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Truth in there mate.

I'm not sure Intel screwed us over, Core i7 was never intended to be a real desktop superstar. It's a workstation part through and through.

It's released for those of us that care enough to cater to our ePeen addiction, but aside from that they kept working on pricing and refreshing their 775 lineup. It's been clear from the start that 1366 was never meant to replace 775, that is the task of the 1156. From these early reports, and based on what Anand recently published, that will be done pretty well. A 5GHz quad will do very well, thanks very much :lol:

17. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Might be a reason not to get the i7 920 then :)

18. Samek1337

Samek1337 What's a Dremel?

Now that's a pity. Now I realised, that I should have waited to i5 + GTX 3xx, but noooo, I had to rush it and get an i7 and a GTX 295, what a dumbass. But now I'll have them money to buy me two SSD's and 12GB of 1800MHz RAM, and that will make my ePeen grow quite a bit. :)

19. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

Breaking news: Technology products go obsolete quickly. Internet users shocked.

Squallers likes this.
  20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Nominated for win!

Tags: Add Tags