1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Best place to get 2nd hand kit?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Buzzons, 2 Jun 2009.

1. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Anyone know good places to get second hand camera lenses? I'm looking to get a few decent ones before I head off to Borneo of a month..

Thinking of..

70-200mm Canon L Lens (not sure if there's much difference between the IS/non IS versions of the F2.8 and F4)

150mm Sigma Macro or the 180mm Canon L macro

and either the 24-27 or the 24-105 mm L lens

They'll be mainly used for wildlife/plant shots etc. Thoughts on the camera lenses picked? Thoughs on where to get them?

Many thanks :D

2. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Depending on where your living. if your in North America. Check out henry's photo. They have an online ebay store where they sell new and used equipment.

3. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

and if your in the UK, I've bought a few things from www.ffordes.com constantly changing range of 2nd hand stock and pretty good prices on the new stuff as well. they seem to get quite a lot of ex demo stuff from roadshows every so often as well.

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

eBay? :worried:

Photography-based forums with buy/sell sections? (I'm not sure if there are any Canon-specific ones that offer this or not).

Other than that I would say your best option would perhaps be to see if you can find a local camera shop near you, almost all of them have a reasonable range of used lenses with warranty.

6. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Should of said UK *doh*

Jessops no longer do 2nd hand kit, there's a camera world somewhere near me but not sure on their prices. Other than that, I don't think there're any other camera shops :(.

Is eBay actually a good choice for lenses etc? (the ones from china etc - are they legit?)

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

In my experience they've been fine. Just make sure they're a reputable seller with lots of good feedback. You'll find loads of cheap lenses and filters coming out of HK, but be aware that you might have to pay customs fees on top of that. I'm not sure about the warranty on these, though, so you might want to look into that.

eBay is usually my fist port of call to see what things are selling for on there, but if it's not much more expensive to buy in the UK then I do that wherever I can just for the convenience, although it's usually a good 15-20% more.

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

K will have a look around. Mainly only want the lenses for the holiday then gonna sell them again.

9. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Bought quite a lot of stuff off Talk Photography forums and everything has been great.