1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Hydros Core Copper Reservior

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Kewtdz, 12 Mar 2009.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

You really do do beautiful machining, it looks very nice.

2. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

cant wait to see more. looks good

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

What motherboard is this going on? I've never seen one with that much real estate available.

4. Kewtdz

Kewtdz Hydros Core

Update

Well this is going on a EVGA 780i board. The part really isn't that big. Just to make sure tho I make a bunch of drawings in Rhino and tested the mounting holes directly on the board. I spent a lot of time on it so as long as I am close to the drawings this thing should fit.

I finished the channeling then I started to sand and file most of the rough spots out. I couldn't get all of them so I eventually gave up. But this is the result:

[​IMG]

Also I still have to go over the whole thing with some finer sandpaper which will hopefully produce a smoother finish.

Then while I was waiting on our band saw to get fixed, I started plaining the aluminum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do to chatter in the mill the two passes are at a difference of .002"-.004". But this is on because I can fix it later so it will mount flush.

Finally we got the band saw to work and I cut out the copper:

[​IMG]

The scrap:

[​IMG]

I now have the plans mirrored onto the aluminum:

[​IMG]

However my instructor needed the vertical mill I was using to help an auto student. But here are a couple really fast renderings of the case I am planning to build.

[​IMG]

This is the internal structure, the bottom part of it will hold the 4 x 120mm radiator.

[​IMG]

Let me know what ya think.

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you are mixing aluminum with copper? i thought that wasn't good?

6. The boy 4rm oz

That isn't good, if both the copper and the alu will be touching the coolant. I strongly advise against using both alu and copper in a water loop, very bad corrosion, no matter the coating. The CADs look really cool, I love the first pic of the case, nice design.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Yeah, before you waste your time on milling the aluminium, switch it out for some delrin (acetal).

Mixing them will result in pain, only for a few months down the line you'll find all your hard work wasted!

8. The boy 4rm oz

Yep, My Swiftech Apogee GTX started to corrode after 2 months of use, lucky my mobo blew and I stripped down the loop otherwise I would be in trouble.

9. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

looks good but yeah jase is right.

10. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Nice custom block/res! Yeah, skip the alu/copper if you can help it.

11. The boy 4rm oz

12. Kewtdz

Kewtdz Hydros Core

Thanks for the info!

Shoot we thought there my be problems if they are touching directly but we failed to realize the coolant would ruin it to. Thanks for the help! I will go talk to my instructor tonight and see what he wants to do, the corrosion thing probably just slipped his mind. :D

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I agree with Burnout21, delrin is some awesome stuff if you wanna try that. I've worked with it and machining it is a dream. Looks great too.

14. The boy 4rm oz

Use Delrin/Acetel, Stainless Steel or nickel plated copper, any of these are great substitutes.

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

This is really shaping up nice! Keep bringin on the updates Kewtdz :thumb:

16. Kewtdz

Kewtdz Hydros Core

Material

So we have decide to use some acrylic instead of delrin. My instructors figure it should take about the same amount of time to machine and we have a ton just laying around that I can use. Also I only have about 2 weeks before summer break and I have to have this block done, a mosfet heat sink, and the case. Since delrin his hard to get in this area that mean we would have to order it which would set me back about week on the block which can't happen at this point.

Is there any advice you guys have on using acrylic versus delrin?

17. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Don't use too thin stuff. The acrylic EK used for the waterblock on my vid card is about 3/8" thick.

18. The boy 4rm oz

From what I hear Delrin or Acetel is much stronger than standard acrylic/perspex, it's also less prone to cracking.

19. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Can we get a scale picture of the res? maybe with a pop/beer can or something else we'd have lying around in the house?

20. Kewtdz

Kewtdz Hydros Core

Hydros Core Update! :D

Yeah I looked into all the advantages of delrin but the bad thing is I can't get any here within the time frame I need. I have to be done with the whole project by the 12th so the next best thing is acrylic. I did decide to move up to 1/4" thickness which should help.

Machining the channels :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I accidently got carried away with the power feed and cut too far but we already found a way to fix it.

[​IMG]

Here is the acrylic cut out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am using the sand paper to make sure that the copper surface is completely flat so that way it seals properly.
    [​IMG]

Will this work for a size comparison?

[​IMG]

So that is it for now. I am going in tonight so I should have another update pretty soon. My water jet parts will be done by Tuesday so hopefully I can get the case done by the end of next week.