1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony reveals PS3 motion controller

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

They should leave the gimmicky waving-your-arms-around-infront-of-your-TV to the Wii.

3. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I have been looking at all these motion controllers at E9 and so far I am impressed with microsofts more than anything, where there is no need to hold anything or stick anything on you. Although their demo promotion video seems a bit "too good to be true". It does look like a new direction for console gaming. the PS3 controller does seem very responsive and accurate, I am sure it will be quite fun for fighting games.

Where does this leave PC gaming though? It has been keeping up with consoles for a while, but the thought of using a keyboard and mouse in the future compared to jumping around your living room with an invisible gun or sword sounds a bit more appealing, if they can do it right.

4. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

At least the PS3 demo was indeed a live demo, and not a promo video saying results are simulated (look at the bottom text at the beginning). Even if we saw the boy simulator video, it still wasn't in front of an audience.

5. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

The MS conference also had someone demonstrating it live on stage. They had this girl kicking balls.

It begs the question doesn't it? But I'm not gonna go ahead and ask it on a forum like this as I value my life.

*cough*Is PC gaming dead?*cough*

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

While it sounds pretty cool, after thinking about it, surely it will be a little limited? It would just be a position marker, while the Wii/SixAxis has 6DF this is essentially just making the Eye Toy a bit more efficient, it still can only do 2D, it wouldn't have depth perception like Project Natal/Wiimote/SixAxis.

There's also nothing stopping MS doing this with Project Natal, hell they could do it with the current camera surely? So essentially, Sony is showing off a stick with a light at the end, nothing really amazing there.

EDIT: Ah it does have motion sensors, so it could be like a more awesome version of the Wiimote. The video made it look really cool.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2009
  7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Dear God it looks vile. Although it is good to see both companies trying their hand at this, as it can only mean better competition.

8. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

The tech demo for this was really awesome. I like the arena display with the sword and shield and also the arrow and bow demo. Project Natal looks interesting too but Sony's wands and Wii's Motion Plus look much more practical in application. Everyone doesn't have a massive living room for all the movement Natal is suppose to provide while playing games. Both are similar and different. Don't forget voice recognition could easily be added to what Sony has shown (PS3 Eye has a Microphone I believe) and Natal could easily have some form of input buttons added.

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Natal is just like eyetoy games for ps2/ps3, guess resolution of the camera is what is increasing accuracy over original concepts.

Good thing about this method is that unlike Wii is that multiple players could run off one camera.

I guess there must be a bit more to MS method than a camera if it tracks deoth.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2009
  10. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

If they ever implement this into a game such as GT5 or a MGS, better have the option to turn it off, and use the normal controller, I hate motion controls, they're so rawrgl.

11. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

urgh, i can't stand motion controls. i hope they turn to be nothing more than a gimmicky fad in the long run.

12. Dracyr

Dracyr What's a Dremel?

Natal isnt just an EyeToy for xbox, it actually implements a 3d sensor. But the reason it worked so good is because MS software is top of the line for there kinds of things.

Tags: Add Tags