1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Having a nightmare with new upgrade, please help!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by slinger, 3 Jun 2009.

1. slinger

slinger Minimodder

To cut a long story short on Monday I bought a new AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition cpu and a Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 motherboard. Came to install everything and my usb mouse briefly powers up then turns off and the usb keyboard doesnt work at all. Used a ps2 adaptor which worked very briefly so borrowed a ps2 keyboard and that worked.... agin briefly until pressing any key in the bios did strange things like bring up "quit without saving".

Took that motherboard back today and got it swapped and have put everything together again but again usb keyboard and mouse wont work, BUT with the ps2 adaptor on the keyboard it works fine, the mouse doesnt work at all though. Managed to start installing Vista using the keyboard and its very very slow to install. When it gets to the "completing installation" screen it throws up the following Blue screen:

[​IMG]

It seems to me that maybe my psu isnt up to the job (PC Power and Cooling 510w) but is there much more of a demand for power on this new system than compared to my X2 6000 and Abit motherboard? I cant afford, and dont want to buy another psu only for it to be something else like the memory I have isnt compatible with this motherboard

p.s. click on the pic and it should go full size.

2. Steveo

Steveo What's a Dremel?

Is windows on the machine yet? I had this problem before i got windows on. It sometimes takes ages to find the right drivers. U aren't using gaming keyboards or something that needs extra power?

Also is your power supply powerful enough?

3. slinger

slinger Minimodder

Just a standard Logitech Media usb keyboard and Logitech MX518 mouse. My psu is 510w which I thought was powerful enough, it powers my old rig, which is the same except for an X2 6000 and Abit KN9 motherboard, just fine. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a new one to see if thats the cause.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

510W even on a cheap PSU should be ample.

have you tried different keyboard and mouse all together ???

5. slinger

slinger Minimodder

Yes I've tried that too, another logitech k/b I have which has a ps2 adaptor plus an old ps2 keyboard. Ive also tried a MS mouse to see if that did anything. I can only think that either the psu is not good enough, my memory isnt compatible (Geil Ultra PC6400) or the cpu is at fault?

6. adam_bagpuss

i suppose its possible that your PSU isnt providing a stable 5V for USB.

however it worked in your last system. as did your k/b mouse i take it ?

have you double checked that all cables are connected correctly are you using the 8pin connector ?

what bios version are you running - F1 does not support the 940 or 920 phenom II. F2 does.

where are you plugging in keyboard mouse - at the back or using front USBs on case ?

7. slinger

slinger Minimodder

Everything is fine in my old system yes. All cables are connected properly, and Im using the 8 pin connector. I dont know what bios version it is thats on there, I cant flash the bios as I have no floppy drive and with the usb ports not working I cant flash with my usb drive.
    Im plugging the mouse and keyboard in the back.

edit:- I wonder if I can put my X2 6000 in there (socket AM2) and update the bios?

8. adam_bagpuss

have you tried using different USB ports on the back ?

can you enable USB support in the bios ?

also when your PC posts it will say what bios revision its using.

9. slinger

slinger Minimodder

Ive tried every usb port on the back and I have enabled USB mouse & keyboard in the bios.
    I'll check the bios revision tonight. Ive just ordered an 850w psu to see if that helps.

p.s. thanks very much for your help I appreciate it. This is the first upgrade Ive done in 2 years and its really annoying me now lol!

10. adam_bagpuss

850W woah overkill.

im only running a 650W in my i920 rig with a 4870.

what PSU is by the way ? cheap and nasty ones are best avoided

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

That PC Power&Cooling 510W should be rock solid TBH.

Is the heatsink attached properly? Try one stick of memory at at time and see if that helps.

As you said, make sure USB keyboard and mouse is enabled in the BIOS.

12. slinger

slinger Minimodder

The PSU is from Scan, cant remember the name of it but its been recommended. It is cheap at £60 but looks like it might be ok and has quad 12v rails, 6 x SATA & 2 x PCIe both of which my PCP&C doesnt have.

Oaksed - yes heatsink is attached properly, have also tried ram 1 stick at a time, I've even upped the voltage to see if that helped but no luck.

I might see if I can pinch some different DDR2 off someone to see if that could be it.

13. adam_bagpuss

eww that PSU is not good.

2 dual 12V rails ? must have a low amps on them especially since its cheapo, therefore will struggle with high end graphics that need certain amount of amps.

id cancel it if you could i can find no info on it at all. and scan says its manufactured for them.

OEM PSU = BANG and cause it cheap would take your mobo and other components along with it.

getting a proven stable one from a big manufacturer is a must really if you got decent kit.

650W corsair TX is £75 and is a good PSU and will be stable and will provide more stable power than that 850W one ever could.

EDIT - altohugh getting a PSU may not solve your problem as we havent even pinned it down yet.

14. slinger

slinger Minimodder

this is the one:- http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/850W-Powercool-80plus-Quad-12v-Rail-V22-High-Efficiency-Black-PSU

15. adam_bagpuss

yep its a OEM PSU

there is ZERO info on it on the web just everyone selling it.

suppose it may be ok, i wouldnt hook up my kit to it though. i could just be acting like a PSU snob i guess.

generally though OEM/cheap PSUs are best avoided.

16. slinger

slinger Minimodder

yeah I know what you mean and Ive always stayed away from shitty psu's but I wanted the lowest cost possible just to test. If it is the psu then next pay day will get me a Corsair unit :thumb:

17. slinger

slinger Minimodder

Ok this is what I've done tonight:-

Firstly flashed the bios to the latest F2a using a usb drive :eeek: which worked fine :confused:

still no luck so I did the following hardware changes:

2 x graphics cards - GTX260 and a geforce 7300
    2 x memory - Geil PC6400 & Kingston KVR667
    2 x CPU - Phenom II X4 940BE & X2 6000
    3 x DVD Drives - Optiarc SATA, Sony IDE & brand new LG IDE
    2 x hard drives - Seagate 250gb SATA
    3 x keyboards - Logitech Media 600 USB (didnt work), generic PS2 & Logitech Elite with PS2 adaptor (both worked fine)
    3 x mice - 2 x Logitech MX518 & 1 x Microsoft Explorer (none worked)

so, the only thing left is my psu which is obviously the problem. It took a long time getting here but at least I know (and hope) the £60 I spent today on one might not have been wasted.

Here's hoping............... :wallbash:

18. slinger

slinger Minimodder

New psu solved everything, been up and running for past 6 hours :clap:

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Cool, glad you got it sorted.

Honestly I'm suprised it was a duff PC Power & Cooling supply, I thought they were solid - I suppose even then you can get bad units sometimes.

20. slinger

slinger Minimodder

Its not duff mate, just not powerful enough for the Phenom as its fine with my X2 6000.