1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New PC in stages

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonamur, 2 Jun 2009.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

well if thats what you wanna do then ok, but i really would recommend you save rather than spend every month.

ok since your gunna be changing mobo first i guess it HAS to have integrated graphics as your old AGP card wont work in it.

The ASUS M3A78 PRO 780G that you linked to looks ok although its nothing special (im guessing your not overclocking at all ?)

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Pick up a 780 chipset motherboard.

Could go for one with intergrated graphics or just pick up a ultra cheap pci-e card off ebay, can be had for 5-10 delivered for ATi x300's

Then you have a motherboard which will act as a decent platform for alll future upgrades, either of the boards you have listed look fine to me, read a few reviews/benchmarks online to check they are not turkeys.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

if you can afford to spend £60 month you can afford to save £60 a month

however the above post re the 780g mobo is a good idea they generally game pretty well and will provide you with all you need to upgrade later

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Hmm sorry, my bad! :blush: I thought all 3800's were Socket 939.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2009
  5. jonamur

jonamur What's a Dremel?

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

nah the graphics wont cut it on WoW. Plus intergrated GPUs often use some of your system RAM and you only have 2GB so u can kiss 256MB+ of that goodbye.

good price on the RAM although i dont like overclockers personally.

if you keen to play games then a GPU is the next thing you need as it will make a massive massive difference compared to integrated.

7. jonamur

jonamur What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I will see how it looks once the MoBo is in, can't be worse than my current setup :sigh:

Then maybe get the GPU before the others, esp as there may be stock of 4770 by then :thumb:

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

9. jonamur

jonamur What's a Dremel?

OK got the board yesterday, Thursday, only ordered it after lunch the day before, on the free delivery 5 day option :thumb:

Installed no problem at all.

Like the nice and simple option for overclocking by 5% increments. With the stock AMD CPU heatsink and fan, I got 10% no problem, while running prime95, the cpu did not reach 50 degrees. At 15% it got to 50 so then put it back to 10%. :rock:

Also OC'd the GPU from 500MHz to 800MHz. :rock:

Runs wow real nice all settings at max.

Thanks for the advice all, and now to the next thing to upgrade, most probably the memory.