1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Confirmed: Core i7 920, 940, 950 to go "soon"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jun 2009.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah boogie.. actually for guys who bought the e6600 and q6600 way back on release- was the best investment over the years.. overclocked, they still do everything you need

intel got rid of the e6600 quick- it was a little too good at ocing XD guys were hitting 4 gig on that chip before the whole 4 gig club even existed

2. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

I are confused.

Doe this mean the Core i5 will be better than Core i7, or will there be some new Lynnfield based i7s???

3. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

:hehe:

@ thehippoz, Yeah your right, I'm so happy I have the Q6600 Go, it's the first CPU I have felt good having late in the making. Intel seems to discontinue models that are "TO GOOD" ooopppsss:rolleyes:

I'm glad that I have developed patience in my fanatical attitude toward this hobby. Proud to be a mid range purchaser. :D

4. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Sooooo, will the next cpus go back to 775? or will there be an entire new set of hardware to buy?

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

LOL... +rep for you. Well said.

No.. not better than i7.

From what I can tell, it's a cut down i7 with dual channel, and no QPI onboard. Good performer.. about a match for AMD's flagship Phenom II X4 955. Early reports suggest it's a good clocker too.... but so is the i7.

I'm still glad I bought mine when I did.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2009
  6. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Bloody hell, this is just getting gay. No point making my i7 system in 5 days then. I feel cheated, not about the processor, about having to wait. The i5's have to be waaay better for the same price, otherwise intel has lost loads of friends.

Why is the i5 the i5, instead of the i9, because 5 comes before 7???

7. Pookeyhead

A reflection of it's inferiority of course :)

I'd still buy a i7.

8. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I'm not too upset about this, my 920 and DX58SO were free! I'll still be in the green, relatively speaking, if I upgrade to a six-core LGA 1366 CPU in the future. =P

9. Pookeyhead

People forget this, and talk about i7 owners not having any upgrade path. I beg to differ. Fact is though... I don't see why you'd want to upgrade for the foreseeable future if you own a i7.

Storm in a teacup.

It IS still annoying the way Intel just keep messing everyone about. I'd hate to be buying a rig now... as there are so many what ifs... but I'm fairly certain I'd still buy a i7 if I was buying today.

10. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

For a lot of home PC systems the only question regarding the power of CPU will become: "a bottleneck?" i7 920 is one with dual gtx295 cards. The quad (2x2) g300 will be more powerful than twelve 4890. And we should put this on a i5 platform that will not even support a 2per x16? (SLI G300)
    as far I saw the i5 integrated construction blocks even Nvidia future motherboards. Some Larabee extorsion?

11. i7lova

i7lova What's a Dremel?

I don't understand how it can be a "bottleneck" Right now there really isn't a faster processor (per say) out there. So either way. and are you saying its a bottleneck at stock speeds? because it is easily overclocke d above and beyond that. mine is sitting at 3.2ghz right now with minimal effort I'll prolly push it to 3.6 or 3.8 sometime in the future but right now I have no need to. Hell i could have just left it alone and been perfectly fine!

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Did I just get that right? 4 x G300 = 12 x R790? That means G300 has 3 times the computing power of R790? Where'd you get that from? nVidia slides?

Anyways, for me it doesn't really matter what Intel do. My E6600 @ 3.6 GHz still rocks almost everything I throw at it. The only thing where I'd like to have some more grunt would be video encoding but I do that once every 1-2 weeks, so...

I'll just wait for the dust to settle then make up my mind what CPU is the way to go for me. i5, i7, i9 or AMD's 9xx BEs? Who knows [right now]?

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Anyone got an "old" i7 they want to get rid of? You know how to get hold of me :p

I don't really see the issue with this - they needed something to compete with Phenom and draw people in to the i7 platform then when they have got something else to compete in the segment they drop the low end parts to avoid confusion.

It is a bit annoying but no more, the thing that gets me the most is that i5 and i7 aren't compatible.

14. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

The increase in framerates when overclocking a midrange i7 with quad GPU is such that it suggests a begining of CPU limiting. With much more demanding GPU?
    Anyway, what I wanted to point out is that Intel said that i5 platform will be so 'Atom' that it will suffice a x8 slot (max two).
    Now the customers should forget that the banal Core2 had full dual x16 for a friendly price. Intel is namely going forward with a x8 slot.

15. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Whell, considering that the new 40nm from TMSC waters in such extent that they could begin the production of cooking hobs with their silicium slices, Nvidia had to drastically lover the clocks. The result is said to be a 2.6 factor compared to 275. With improved 40nm it could reach quite more. With 28nm there will be a revolution. Ati will roll out just a tweaked 4870 with 5870; some 8 months later there will be a blast with radeon 6000 based on 28nm from Globalfoundries.
    As it seems we'll soon render with 15TF.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And can you show us any sources or any proof for your [maybe] pretty wild guesses?
    Do you, by any chance, work for Globalfoundries? :p

Oh, and there is this little "Edit" button... please use it. :thumb:

17. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm very much hoping that Intel will realize how much people hate how often they change the CPU socket.

Why won't they do what they did with 775, and have everything from a low end Celeron to the C2E Q9770 work on the same chipsets.

775 to 1366 to 1156 in what, a year and a half? Really really lame, Intel..

18. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

Next thing you know they'll start renaming thin---- Oh wait that's what nVidia does. I suppose I'll just have to stick with what I got.

19. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Considering that intel negated the i5 name we will probably see something like 'i7 second generation'; with i5 name people would just expect something cheaper and scaled down. Such image would be (financialy) bad for such a premium product.

20. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Acutally, this has been an open secret for quite awhile. It was sometime shortly after Core i5 was announced that leaks started take i7 was gonna be kicked to the curb.

Tags: Add Tags