1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How durable is Ikea furniture?

Discussion in 'General' started by RotoSequence, 2 Jun 2009.

1. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

nope. I am a design student in Bournemouth.

2. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

If they're anything like IKEA chairs, avoid them. I bought an office chair which boasted "ergonomics for longer sitting periods" Which one would assume is the standard 8-hour day. 3 weeks later, the underside had separated from the back rest and 2 horrible plastic spacers snapped off. In an attempt to fix it, I had to remove 2 cap-screws (this is all it's held together with). Easy! I thought.. that was until one turn of the cap screw snapped the head off leaving the thread inside the chair and the seat hanging at an awkward 45 degree angle. This chair had replaced a previous IKEA cantilever chair, that after 3-4 months of use, had become unusable due to a stress fracture in the base which resulted in you floating only centimeters from the floor. I weight about 185lbs. I'd say if you had a combined weight of over 300lbs to steer clear of anything from IKEA.

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Ergonomics only covers the adjustment of dimentions to suit a chosen percentile of human being physique, not the reliability of it. You were duped into thinking you were getting a long lasting product.

Was it comfortable? and was it worth the spondoolies you ejaculated for your short experience with your chair?

4. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

It was insanely comfortable, which was why I bought it. I know IKEA make nothing but affordable crap, but I thought "if I could just get a year out of it, great". Such is life, if you cheap out on stuff its bound to go arse up..

5. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Didn't pick up a couch there. All of the ones that could seat the desired number of people were either too short, too expensive, or too damn flimsily put together.

The main supports were stapled to the rest of the structural frame... :eyebrow:

While the couch could be reinforced, it just doesn't feel like its worth the effort to buy something from a chain store and get a half-assed product that you have to finish for them.