1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Steam account has been nicked!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by popcornuk1983, 6 Jun 2009.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hey everyone,

Well so much for playing some left4dead this afternoon. My steam account has been nicked!

I've opened a ticket with steam support so fingers crossed it won't take too long.

Has anyone had this happen to them before and if so, how long did it take?

I've spent nearly £250 all in all since I started buying from steam. The thought of someone else using my account is very unsettling :waah:

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

That sucks! I really hope they can retrieve your account.

Never had my account stolen but I bought a second hand copy of Half Life 2 + CS:S (CD version) for £4 and had it transfered to my account which only took about a week. Completely different I know, but Steam are excellent for customer service.

3. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

Never happened to me, but I after not using steam for about 6 months I once came back to it to find my name changed and me apparently in some clan or something. But then I realised I must have left it logged in at my local LAN cafe, so I simply put my name (back) and changed my password.

Do you have the original cd key for the first steam game you got (ie hlf2 or something)? Surly it's linked to your email account (or at least was) so that's got to be some proof, and stuff like email invoices from steam after game purchases would all prove it to be your account.

4. popcornuk1983

Yeah I still have my email when I purchased HL2 all those years ago and have kept a copy of all my email receipts whenever i've bought a game, so should go a long way to getting my account back quickly.

I've heard that valve are very good for customer support so heres hoping.

The main thing that bothers me is a note on their customer support forum stating that if an account is stolen and I get banned through the VAC thingy then it won't be lifted when the account is returned. I play a lot of online games through steam and would hate to be branded a cheater!

Still no idea how they managed to get my account details as I always use a really complicated password. Wish I could get my hands on the people who have done this. Grrrrrrr

5. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

If you want your account to be returned to you faster take pictures of any CD-Keys / Serial Keys you have in as high of a resolution as possible and add it to the Steam Support ticket. I have to experienced a "Hacking" on my 5~digit steam account and that's how I got my account returned to me.

PS: My account was never banned during my hacking thankfully, I love my 5~Digit it makes people assume I'm GodLike.

6. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

it happened to me a while ago. i'm not entirely sure how it happened, but it took less than 24 hours for them to give me my account back. just provide as much information as possible to them and they should sort it out as fast as.

i made a new account and added the stolen account while it was out of my hands, hoping i could see if they were doing anything with it. thankfully it seemed like it'd never been used since being "hacked" so... yeah. i guess i got lucky -- i heard steam don't reverse bans if your account is stolen and the person who took it cheats or whatever.

felt like a bit of an idiot though for it happening, heh. i'm still puzzled to this day how it happened. suffice to say i formatted as soon as i filed the support ticket and kept all my security stuff updated, heh.

7. popcornuk1983

Exactly how I feel, an idiot. Keep thinking it's something I have done. I've also done the same as you, formatted the PC straight away in case there was anything dodgy lurking on the hard drive.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've attached a copy of all my purchase emails to the ticket as I've never bought a retail CD so don't have any keys.

Still not heard anything from valve, hopefully hear something tomorrow. I wanna play Left4Dead goddammit!!!! :miffed:

8. popcornuk1983

Just had a friend check steam for my username (popcornuk). The gimp that nicked my account is playing counter strike source! The cheeky little sod, thats my bloody game! :miffed:

If anyone spots a player called motz (changed my nickname), tell him hes a dirty robbing @*&$!!

9. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

Dude... I'm really feeling for you. I guess these things can happen to anyone so I wouldn't worry too much.

I know you can report offensive content to steam so you could find the user and flag as inappropriate content to make them to notice quicker.

Let us know how you get on :eyebrow:

10. popcornuk1983

Woo! Finally got my account back this afternoon. Up and running again.

Although when I signed back in, apparently I have 5 new buddies in my list, someone has been busy :)

I created a mental password for the account, try breaking that one motz! Would still like to know if it was a weak password that was broken or if it was something on my PC. May never know....

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Post your new password and user name we'll tell you if it's secure enough :D

12. popcornuk1983

hahaha nice try ;)

13. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

awesome, glad to hear you got it back! :D

14. popcornuk1983

Thanks very much! Glad to have it back. Hadn't used steam for almost a week. It's amazing how much you want to play something when you can't get access to it :D

Tags: