1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Gaming workhouse for £700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spafe, 7 Jun 2009.

1. Spafe

Spafe What's a Dremel?

Having looked at June 09's suggestions and their prices (around £900), I am looking for similar build for a bit less money.

Obviously I am willing to compromise on performance to make it fit into my budget.

Having talked to a friends and read around it seems the easiest way to reduce the price is through the: CPU and case. Another thing I gleaned was that it is worth spending the money on the GPU and decent cooling methods. Thus, for the build I would like to keep the Palit (or equivalent) 275 GTX card, PSU, CPU cooler.

Therefore:
    193.49 Palit 275 GTX
    £109.70 Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    £58.19 OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
    £37.75 Titan Fenrir
    £15.66 LG GH22NS40 22X SATA DVD+RW
    £66.95 Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

Total: ~£482

Leaving around £200 - 250 for a CPU and case.

I would like to get an Intel quad (hence the motherboard) if possible. My preference on cases tends towards 'inconspicuous' and quiet rather than pure cooling performance.

Suggestions anyone?

2. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

you could save a fair amount buying from scan.
    the motherboard is more expensive there though.
    gtx 275 £171 if you go to the today only tab.

3. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

CPU - Q6600, excellent overall quadcore, great value.

Case - Antec p182, it's quiet AND gives awesome cooling performance for under $140

4. Booneyx

Booneyx What's a Dremel?

Don't forget the RAM!

5. Spafe

Spafe What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah, whoops! Again the RAM will be from the article since £40 is reasonable.

My flatmate has a p182 and agrees it's awesome.

Unfortunately nowhere seems to sell Q6600's any more :(

Scan don't sell the ModXStreem either, and as such I just chose a popular alternative (no idea if it's good...) and the prices are basically the same for all the products put together.

I am probably gonna go with a p182, but now I need suggestions:

An alternative to the powersupply (to compare prices with scan and CCL) and a nice quad for ~£150.

Opinions on the two retailers would be handy too because both seem to have their ups and downs.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

You could consider the Corsair HX520 or the Seasonic M12 500W, and for the Q6600, visit a local store and hope they have unsold stocks.

7. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

If your going for a quad core and a GTX 275 then I would recommend the 600w or 700w version of the OCZ power supply that you listed. It will give you bit more head room. As for The P182, it is a very nice case but the newer P183 is an improved update to the P182 and can accommodate larger power supplies more easily. Its also similarly priced to the P182:

http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=100712&source=froogle

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

You should take a look at Lian Li's cases. Lian Li is an OEM manufacturer of cases, so it's cheaper, and they're rather well known for being bang for buck...

9. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

i wouldn't say they were cheaper, but they've got some great stuff.

The P182 is a nice case, the P183 looks terrible though (IMO, but whatever.)

10. Spafe

Spafe What's a Dremel?

Th p183 looks like a good idea, didn't even see it before... Only £10 more.

"You could consider the Corsair HX520 or the Seasonic M12 500W" - Ah yes, these were the 'hot sellers' one lots of sites. They look good but are about £20 - 30 more expensive. The 600W version of the MOdXStreem is only £10 more so I will probably go for that one.

The most local computer shop is PC World which is unlikely to: 1. Have 6600's... and 2. Sell them cheaply. So, what about this one:

Q9550

11. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

I thought I'd made a mistake when I bought my Antec 902 (it looked better in the review pics) but its really grown on me. This may be more due to the fact of its excellent performance though.
    The Antec P182 SE (the stainless steel finger print magnet) is still probably one of the sexiest cases I've seen. Would the P183 improve in your eyes if the stainless steel covered it? :confused:

12. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

Depending on what games you play, a overclocked E8400 (preferably this - E8400 E0 Stepping ) with a good cooler (Titan Fenrir) would be a better choice. It would also save you nearly £50 on your Q9550 selection. However, if you really want a quad core then the Q9550 is a good cpu.

OOPS double post

13. numanoid

numanoid Modder

matey
    if you go with the fenrir, make sure you have the room in your case, i bought the fenrir to go into my huge coolermaster cosmos s case, no joy, i couldn't get my sidepanel on to the case, the fenrir was sitting too high (i sold it to a guy on here) ive now got the zalman 9900 led, so measure the room in your case from the motherboard tray to your side panel and check the hight of the fenrir, honest its huge
    take care

14. Booneyx

Booneyx What's a Dremel?

15. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

Or these (also SLACQ - G0 stepping)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-155-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

:thumb:

A valid point. Was this with the side fan fitted? Did it fit with this removed or was it something else clashing?

16. Spafe

Spafe What's a Dremel?

Excuse me for being ignorant but how much of a difference will the 4MB cache on the 8400 compared to the 9550's 12MB cache make?

EDIT:

Looking at the p183's width of about 20cm, the fenrir is 12cm high according to google. Should fit in right?

And now which CPU is best *_*. I'm kinda lost now >.<

Last edited: 7 Jun 2009
  17. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

6MB cache on the E8*** series. A higher clocked E8400 would make up any short fall in the cache. Games like Flight Simulator X work better with quad cores, but a lot of games won't fully take advantage of the quad core. In the May 09 edition of Custom PC magazine the CPU lab tests showed that the E8400/E8500/E8600 matched or at least surpassed even some Core i7's in gaming frame rates. If however you wish to use heavily multi-threaded applications then the quad core is a better choice.

18. numanoid

numanoid Modder

hi m8
    yes it fit with the side fan removed, but only just, ive now got the zalman 9900 led and i can use my side fan too :D, but im not sure if the case spife is buying is bigger :jawdrop: than the cosmos s or smaller, if its bigger i think he will be ok, if its smaller then i see trouble ahead :sigh:
    take care

19. Ady6UK

Ady6UK Feck Off

Didn't mean to confuse you my friend :eeek: I've seen Tuniq Tower fit into an Antec P180 (same width as a P183). Width wise the Tuniq is bigger than the Fenrir but height wise the Titan is only 3mm taller than the Tuniq so you should be fine :rock:

Yeah, it would be a shame to lose that extra cooling.

20. numanoid

numanoid Modder

yes matey, that is why i decided the fenrir had to go, there was no way i wanted to lose my side fan :jawdrop:, i realy wanted the fenrir, its an awsome cooler, but sh** happens, and now ive got the zalman, still im happy, my pc is running at 25c at idle and 40c under load
    mabe thats thanks to the side fan :D
    if the fenrir fits in your case matey then go for it :thumb:
    take care
    p s dont forget the small hight of the cpu that the fenrir sits on, if my cpu was flat i could have got my side panel on with the fan, it was just that few mm's of hight of the cpu that stumped me