1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fans boycott Left 4 Dead 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2009.

1. storm_temple

storm_temple What's a Dremel?

Valve CEO - I want you guys to start on Left For Dead 3 Now.

Game Programmers - We are only half way on L4D2?

Valve CEO - Who cares about content AI or quality , just improve the graphic or something make it seem different.
    I want a sequal every year damn it.

Valve CEO-(thinking in his mind) How the Hell am i supposed to get my G5 private jet if they dont release game every year
    stupid Buffins

2. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Isn't it the first Valve game to focus on the Xbox mainly instead of the PC ? Coincidence ?

3. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I had a really long post explaining why Valve were great and everything...but then it hit me. The first time they ever used a purity check (makes sure client data is same as servers) was in CS:S less than 1 year ago. The only reason they even did it then was because I (as an admin of CAL at the time) pushed for months to get it added. Something that was a standard feature in the Quake 3 engine has taken them 8+ years to think of and add.

I think I'll stick with id Software. :(

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Joined that group a while ago, fully agree, also we're at 18k members and growing still.

It was the other way around for L4D2 FYI. L4D team said they wanted to do L4D2, and Valve agreed.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I agree with the boycotters.

Pretty ****ing cheap to state pre-launch they'll be doing something they've normally done, only to scrap that and releasing a new game instead.

Yet more evidence that the old, arguably better, team in Valve got killed a long, long time ago.

7. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

I know a few people have commented on the poor graphics in the videos they've releases (some sort of cross between teem fortress and pleasent stroll in the sun). Wonder if it's just because it's so early in the development cycle? I hope so . . .

8. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

why would valve make a new game?
    HOW VERY DARE THEY!

9. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

the constant argument of pc gaming being dead in the water - and we all complain when devs make new games

no wonder nobody bothers with us

we either complain or pirate

or so it would seem

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I for one will not be purchasing the game.

Now where's episode 3.

11. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Hey it works for sports games why not FPS games now? But seriously how many people do you know that buy the new FIFA or PES every year? Yes there is a market for it but the problem is that market is not the same market as a more online dependent game. With the sports game a lot of enjoyment can still be had by working a crappy team up the league, winning a few world cups and tournaments. And ultimately if you want the multiplayer experience you invite a few mates over and have a laugh.

However with the online designed FPS the AI is usually pap compared to a real person and designers know this. Their excuse for it is its meant to played with real people, but that becomes increasingly difficult the more you segregate the fan base by releasing yearly games. On the PC it might not be so bad as the HDD allows for all game data to be accessed at the same time and could mean that a person with all games could play all maps, but a person with half the games could only play half the maps. But imagine that on the xbox: "please insert L4D2 disc to play this match" and if their solution for this was to release all games on the latest game then why are we paying £40 for what is effectively a map pack?

To sum up I could see this crushing a great IP before it really has a chance to get going. And to all those who are saying its a brand new game its not, if it weren't released by the games developers you'd call it a mod so why should we call it anything else? Personally I feel tensions would be diffused if valve went back on their word and said "no L4D2, instead we're going to charge for expansions, major updates and DLC"

12. trek554

trek554 What's a Dremel?

dont be a jackass. its NOT a new game. if you actually look at that video that was posted it backs up what many are complaining about. Valve directly said that new weapons, characters, achievements and such would come to L4D now they took all that and made a sequel and are going to charge full price which is stupid. the content should have been made available for the original game even if there was a small charge. taking time and resources to make a new game instead of delivering what was promised for the original game is a simply ripping people off. not to mention that there will now be two separate L4D games so which is likely to get more attention from Valve...the new one of course.

13. daveloft

daveloft What's a Dremel?

This is how it needs to be handled.

Xbox 360 - Release a full sequel at a full price, because that's just how it is on consoles. They can blame Microsoft if they want to.

PC - Update all copies of L4D to L4D2 when it comes out, give them the new weapons, updated AI and new special infected. But charge $25 for the 4 new survivors, 5 new campaigns, new vs and survial maps. For anyone new buying L4D, L4D2 will be the only option and sell for $50 and include all 9 campaigns. This way even if someone just has L4D1 and their friend buys L4D2, they can at least still play the original 4 maps together.

This way Valve still gets paid, the community is kept together and is given enough free content to fulfill Valves promise and everyone will be happy.

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for showing that:

a) you can't read
    b) you can't watch and understand a video

Come back and post when you can, thanks.

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ehh just wait for Steams Weekend sale and pick it up for 25 lol, thats all I will do when it comes out, is sit and wait for that :)

16. daveloft

Not reading more into and assuming people are upset over just the price, one may jump to your conclusion. But that does not solve the fragmented community problem which is the other major point people are upset with.

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow come on its a game, there are more important things in life to worry about lol

18. daveloft

Than why are you posting about it.

19. daveloft

There are more things to worry about than what others are worrying.

20. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

it will be 1.6 vs CSS all over again. . .

Tags: Add Tags