1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kt7-raid reinstall problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b1g-d0g, 27 Nov 2001.

1. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

tryed to put windows on a fresh install,just after putting in a new cpu,and got drivers not found,what is it please.

2. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

How far does your system go ie does it reach windows at all, does it post etc.

3. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

no it does not post at all m8,it just says drivers not found,i think it ment the cd rom drivers no sure.

4. squishedhog

squishedhog What's a Dremel?

It must post if you see something on the screen...

POSTing is the term given to the booting procedure as the PC starts up and initialises, it stands for Power On Self Test (or Startup Test - either thing means the same)

The POST tells you the type of processor in it, and how much memory is installed etc, then it (the bios) passes control to the boot loader which loads the operating system, be that LILO for linux, IO.SYS for Windows 9x/DOS or NTLDR for WinNT/2k/Xp.

Right, so now that we can guess it's posting, we should be able to find out where it's not working properly.

You don't say what version of Windows you're using, so I'll assume it's 98 - if so, do you see the 'Starting Windows 98' text and the Win98 logo at all?

If so (or if the logo is disabled in msdos.sys) how far through the load does it get, at what point does it stop etc.

To find out, press F8 when you first see the 'Starting Windows 98' message and select 'Command prompt only'. If it loads through to the C:\ prompt, we can guess that there's nowt on startup making windows fail.

If this does happen, then reboot and hit F8 when you see the 'Starting windows 98' message, and select option 3 (I think) 'Safe Mode'

If windows boots ok into Safe Mode, see what is in the device manager - it might just be a conflict, though I've never heard of a processor swap causing windows to fail, I could understand if it was a mobo or something, but not a processor...

Good Luck :)

5. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

thx m8,good info ill try it l8trs :)

6. Clone

Clone What's a Dremel?

Yer i had a prob with the KT7 when i put it into another case and tries to format the HHD, it didn't find the drivers on the Win98 start-up disc. This has happened to me twice now, on me and my mate’s board. Still got no definite answer to the prob though.. Anyone?

:confused:

7. batsman

batsman the quiet one

I have a KG7 - RAID and when i reinstalled windows i came up with drivrs not found and it turned out to b the drives for the raid controller, have you installed these yet?

8. Clone

Clone What's a Dremel?

No Raid driver was installed, as the HDD was formatted, it was just while loading the MSC001 driver for the CD.

I have done clean installs in the same system fine, it just occured when we transplanted the board into another case etc.

9. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

512ddr ram??

10. Clone

Clone What's a Dremel?

Just ordered M8 :D

11. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

sorry wrong post>

12. batsman

batsman the quiet one

thats quite strange that i happned when you moved the board to anothe case, th only thing i can think o it that the BIOS may need to b reconfigured as when you put your pc back together you probably setup your IDE devics defenently to how they were origanly, ie if your CD is set as he master and its conncted as a slave it wont be detected. so i recomend firstly making sure the jumpr settings on your IDE devices match how its set up/connected to your mobo. then check your BIOS settings try setting it to boot from floppy then HD then CD Rom (may help).

What make is your CD ROM and how far will windows load?

Whats it saying in Device manager?

13. Clone

Clone What's a Dremel?

Ahh that's it...

the CD Drive was set on slave.

moved the jumper back and it found the cd rom..

ta m8, well pld:)

14. batsman

batsman the quiet one

not a problem glad i could help :D