1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fans boycott Left 4 Dead 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2009.

1. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

sorry my grammer isn't up to your standards I thought a educated person could understand my meaning!!

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Ah, yea, gotcha, sadly, I am aware of the dates (and all the ones they've missed) :(

A shelf.. somewhere.. mmm.. the L4D2 shelf :hehe:

20k members in the group! woo

3. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I'd like to stop you there. They said they'd release an SDK for L4D. That's a Software Development Kit. Which means CODE. They've released level design tools, that's it. In my eyes, that's no true SDK. Many people had high hopes they would release the code so they could produce kick ass zombie mods (which would've made the game XXXXXXtimes more popular) but they didn't. So lots of modding teams are disappointed as well...Could've had a lot of promise if they opened it up as a modding platform.

4. DarkLord7854

I'd also like to stop you right there. The Source SDK is what they said would come with L4D, it's the same one that's been out since HL2 (obviously updated with the L4D bits), it's everything you need to make your own mods and levels.

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

@b5k:
    err... obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.
    level design tools and an SDK are pretty much all you need to make a mod. an SDK is actually more than you usually get - usually it's just a crappy crippled scripting language. getting full access to the engine through an SDK is a godsend.

6. daveloft

daveloft What's a Dremel?

Dude that was awesome, I couldn't have said it better myself and man have I tried.

7. daveloft

Im cool with that, but it must integrate seamlessly. I will just wait for a good sale to pick up part 2. Its just expensive as I have to buy one copy for myself and one for my wife.

8. daveloft

As I see it, the game reached a finished state only with the release of the Survival pack. Also the mod tools are not fully released yet.

9. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

I'm not a fan of survival mode. Like the first game a lot. WIll not be buying the sequel unless the heavens open and Gods own voice tells me to buy it (or, if I read a bunch of trustworthy, really good reviews.)

10. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

please don't multipost. if you agree with that post you're as retarded as the multiposting makes you look. that argument is bunk and see my immediate reply to it for the explanation.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

That's ridiculous. The game as fully playable and multi-featured on first release, with Survival Mode not being even mentioned before the game release (and therefore can't be considered a required feature.) Survival Mode wasn't some big thing that made the game

12. DarkLord7854

Correct, it was a trivial bonus thrown into the Survival pack that completed the game and made up for the fact that Valve completely screwed up on their promises.

Game was still full of bugs, and still is, the Versus maps added were supposed to be in from the beginning. So the addition of one tinyass new map and a meh gamemode was hardly earth shattering.

13. DarkLord7854

Well, Valve failed to deliver on yet another promise for the SDK, they said it'd be out "Within a week of E3" :lol:

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

promise promise promise, why do people keep putting such a word in the mouth of Valve, I dont remember reading or hearing them actually promise anything, they gave ETAs but thats far from a promise. Things happen, things get delayed...

15. Fallenlords

Fallenlords What's a Dremel?

I don’t blame them for trying to make money and expand on something that has obviously been successful. But I do think the issue of creating a fractured on-line community is going to be the biggest problem. Left 4 Dead will be just that, left for dead. Nobody will really want to play something that is obsolete if the new version has been updated. Valve to my mind need a way to integrate both games into one.

16. DarkLord7854

They said everything from L4D1 will work in L4D2. The only problem with that is, those who bought L4D1 have now paid 50$ for a game, and if they want L4D2 will pay another 50$, when someone who doesn't have neither will pay 50$ for L4D2 and get the content of both games.

17. HourBeforeDawn

so whats your point? other then that your cheap? I spent 50.00 for L4D when it came out, I have had the game for about a year, have played many times and I think I got my moneys worth out of this game thats for sure and L4D2 will come out and I will spend 50 for that, I really dont see the point your trying to make, again other then being cheap. I mean there has been other games with similar setups about previous content working in the newer game, so thats nothing new, I guess if you bought L4D a month before L4D2 then well bummer but you still bought a fully functioning game either way, the missions that are in L4D wont be in L4D2 so there is that value, the content they are talking about is the mod community content working in both.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2009
  18. DarkLord7854

Lol no, they already said, all maps/campaigns in L4D1 will work in L4D2, so everything you're playing with in L4D1 at this time, you can play in L4D2.

And sorry I don't have that much money to fart out of my ass like you do :rolleyes: :hehe: (j/k)

And no, it wasn't exactly quite the "fully functioning" game that was said to be at launch

19. HourBeforeDawn

again yes L4D1 stuff will work in L4D2 BUT L4D1 content like said missions WONT be included in L4D2 so unless you pirate the missions from L4D1 into your L4D2 game then the L4D1 still has value. Thats what I meant.

the game started, I was able to get online play against people, I was able to play trough all of the single player stuff so guess what it was fully functional, so quit bitching.

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I hope you mean "Will have had".

I also take issue with your assumption that people not wanting to buy a second game are just 'cheap'.

Valve has a history of making promises regarding post-release support and updates. They earned the trust of their userbase - And they earned it well. Releasing a game within a year of the original is not in their game plan usually - Add to this the fact that L4D2 was started on in the back end of the November that L4D was released and you have a situation where gamers are wondering if the company has changed. On top of this, it seems that much of the same team are spending most of their time with L4D2 - Not the post-release support and content that was promised (evidenced by the ~7 month post-release gap, no properly released mod tools, and one piece of DLC).

At this stage, it's not that we feel cheap, but that we feel cheated. We were promised one thing, and have been offered something entirely different that we're expected to pay for. That's not to say that DLC should be free, but the promises made should be kept, regardless of pricing model. A sequel is not DLC, it's not post-release content, it's another game. It's most certainly not content in line with what was promised.

The fact that you have had no trouble with the game isn't a reason to say that everyone who're not as up for L4D2 as you are just whiney bitches. It strikes me that you weren't following the pre-release 'hype' or interviews, or at least, not as closely as some people.

There have been promises made that the post-release content will not be affected by the sequel - But it clearly has been. The business move is sound - The mindless vandalism of the userbase' wallet and trust is absolutely not - Which is what we're getting here.

Tags: Add Tags