1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple goes Pro with 13in MacBook, updates 15in MBP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Jun 2009.

1. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

The difference between apple and nvidia, is that I used to like nvidia.

2. daveloft

daveloft What's a Dremel?

So if the battery is integrated and the bottom is non removable does that mean that memory and hard drive upgrades need to be done by Apple.

3. daveloft

Also about the price being cheaper, its not always the case. The 13" Macbook Pro starts at $1399 Canadian the same price as the Macbook its replacing.

4. daveloft

I don't consider laptop to be pro just because it has an aluminum body. It needs an expansion card slot and a dedicated graphics card for that.

If I want a Macbook with a dedicated graphics card I need to buy the mid range 15" model. So its now more expensive to get a Macbook with dedicated graphics.

If I want a half decent amount of video memory by todays standards (512MB) I need to spend $2599 Canadian to get the top of the line 15".

It amazes me how people find this lineup impressive. The increase in processing power, memory and storage is just taking advantage of continual improvements in yield and decrease in production cost by the manufacturers of those parts. Its simply just keeping up with the times.

Apple has the look, feel and build quality down, but they really could be providing so much more with their specs as always.

5. daveloft

Im not looking, their smacking me right in the face. It amuses me that people ignore the obvious flaws in the latest models they covet. That is until a new comes out and they rush out to buy the latest.

I love how adding back Firewire was something to talk about, it should have never left in the first place. I would really like an HDMI eSATA port. You know how great it is to connect a PC to a TV with 1 cable. With the mac I need a mini DVI to DVI cable (Display Port on new ones), a DVI to HDMI cable and a seperate audio cable. Also some TV's have issue with taking audio from a source other than HDMI while using HDMI for video.

Really Im not looking, its just lacking a few key things for me.

6. daveloft

I've started using eSATA with my external hard drives and I just can't go back

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

this bit isn't true. displayport carries audio so you can use a displayport to hdmi cable.

you seem to be spreading FUD. the bottom of the MBP is fully removable. in fact it's easier to open than any laptop i know, it's just 8 screws and the entire bottom panel comes off.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Apple says you ALWAYS have to get repairs done by an Apple approved technician, don't they? I remember reading that otherwise you'll lose any chance of RMA'ing it within warranty.

9. Fod

er, no? you can do what you want inside. break it and they won't fix it, though. but they don't have a 'zomg you touched the inside' clause. i should know - i took mine for repair and they didn't even mention the fact i'd epoxied part of my case together on the inside because i'd accidentally popped a spot weld whilst taking it apart :lol:

god, where does all this FUD come from :sigh: - the support apple offers is actually some of the best of any company i've ever dealt with!

10. perplekks45

That's why I asked. :p

11. daveloft

I've used the model with DVI and that is the case with that model. I don't know about the display port models, but if thats true thats good. But it still isn't as nice as having HDMI.

Also I was asking about upgrading the hard drive and RAM on the new ones. I know with the models I have seen memory and hard is easy access as is most laptops. But Im not sure about the models with integrated battery. I heard the bottom plate was not removable, I was ASKING not SAYING if its upgradable. No need to be a dick, Im just asking questions and sharing my experience. So does anyone know fore sure about the new models on upgradability?

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

errr no, hes right, you cant take it to any repair shop, it has to go to a Apple Certified location for any repair or upgrade. I should know I work at a repair place, they turned down apple certification because Apple wanted to much money to be allowed to fix their machines for them lol.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The one thing that will forever piss me off about Apple is their indecision on Display output ports...For the love of god PICK ONE!

Other than that, I do like the software(even at a basic level, the Video editor in OSX is 100x better than WME), and it does have a good battery life.

And then there's the price tag..

14. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

If you or the uncertified technician break something, they wont fix it, but if you say, Swap the HDD of an older MacBook Pro (Sucks typing that on my just under year old 'Classic' MBP) and then the Logic Board dies, they will still exchange the Logic Board, unless they can link it to something you've done.

Apple have the best Aftercare possible (iPhone 3G and MBP Battery swapped in 20 Mins, In Store)

15. perplekks45

Thank you, I knew I was right. :D

16. Fod

Honestly, you're really not. FFS ring apple and ask them - they had NO issue with me opening my unit up to replace a HDD. Good god, there are even instructions on apple's support site for disassembling the vast majority of their models for the sake of replacing user-replaceable parts! I don't know how much more clearly i can spell this out other than to write a ****ing song.

Anyway, you know what? I can't be bothered with this. You use PCs? Awesome, i have three of those, they're bloody great. you use macs? awesome, i have one of those too, it's great. you like linux? sweet, i use it daily, it's great.

Now please, stop arbitrarily bashing things that you quite obviously have no idea about - it does nobody any good.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2009
  17. perplekks45

Calm down, Fod. Seriously.

Nobody insulted you or Apple or Linux or Windows or Android or any religious group. :eyebrow:

Tags: Add Tags