1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Ultra X-Blaster - New Design Idea [NEW PICTURES]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by UltraModder, 23 Mar 2009.

1. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Thanks for the comment. The paint didnt bond to the metal really well even though it says its for metal. Later on I will get a decent paint job put on but as of right now im just trying to figure out how to mount this plexy glass. Maybe hot glue or something, ill figure it out.

2. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Well I have an update for everyone thats been viewing my progress. I probably wont do much more to the case for a while except making some more fan ports and a cover to go on my put cooler. I finally figured out how to mount the plexy to the side panel and doing so I think I got a really neat modern side panel design. I used a peice of plexyglass that wasnt big enough to cover the whole cutout and mounted it to the outside of the case. I used some screwed I found from a tamiya car and used spacers to bring the plexy away from the panel a little bit. I then made another panel to go into the inside to prevent the air from the intake fan to escape. I finished it of with a couple of coats of a satin black finish. I think it looks really good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only other thing im going to do is 2 more fan ports. One in the upper 2 drive bays and another either in the side window on the bottom or on the top. I will be getting another 2 fans an new thermal grease to put on the heatsink. What do you guys think of some white LED fans with a cover surrounding the heatsink with an ASUS logo on it?

Ive also been looking at getting some more upgrades for my computer. I recently purchased an EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+ video card to run in Hybrid SLI. Im also going to get another one of these to run in Dual SLI which I think also has the Hybrid SLI technology.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I upgrade to the dual SLI setup I will need a better PSU so I am going to get the Ultra x3 PSU either the 850 or 1000 watt.
    [​IMG]

I am also going to get a new a new CPU which will either be the AMD Phenom II 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz or the AMD Phenom II 920 2.8GHz.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some other plans are to get some more fans to put in here to help with the cooling. I was also bored so I thought I would make a background for myself using photoshop. If you like it let me know and I will gladly make one for you for free when I'm not busy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Apr 2009
  3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice window, looks really nice.

4. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Tomorrow im going to work on another mod idea I recently thought of so the front panel is easy to remove. As of now I cannot remove the front panel completely due to the power wires. So tomorrow I am going to take my front USB Firewire 1394 and HD audio apart and use some pieces to make a connector so the whole front will be able to come off without being hindered by wires. It shouldnt take to long since i have solder and the time to do it. Im also going to make the USB and Firewire 1394 on the black plexyglass piece I made.

I will take pics tomorrow of everything and how I did it. Im also going to see about doing some etching on some plexyglass. There is this liquid that you put on glass to make etching and it eats at the glass a little so if it works on plexy or not. If so then I will do my best to make some templates out of contact paper so i can do some etching.

Until then keep modding!

5. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Well I am all done with the USB ports that I decided to relocate. I just have to made a panel so that the holes look nice and clean. I also finished the front quick disconnect for the power button, restart buttons and front led's.

I took apart a firewire connection that goes to the motherboard from the front I/O ports. Then I cut and stripped the wire so I could connect them to the metal connectors inside of the Firewire connector. After I had all the wires connected it was just a matter of sliding the metal connectors back into the Firewire connector. For the other end ASUS sends little adaptors so you cant mess up plugging in the front I/O ports. So I took the one for the Firewire and stuck the wires into the corresponding holes and put some hot glue on the outside so the wires wouldnt slide out later on down the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to make the USB ports. All that I had to do was tape off the plexyglass then secure the template and drill it out and file it untill the holes were big enough. All that is left is to cut a plate to go over the holes so it looks better. More pics on that tomorrow.

I also have to connect the plexyglass piece to the inside of the case so it doesn't slide around everywhere when I move it.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2009
  6. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

nice work

7. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Thanks for your comment DonT-FeaR. Everyone that sees it likes it around here. I just have a few little bugs to work out then I can start some other ideas once I can orger the stuff.

Well I have an update on the USB ports as I promised with the cover installed. It didnt take to long but i still have work to do on it so when im putting in my flash drive the bottom doesnt slide towards the back of the case. Something I overlooked when making it. Im also thinking of putting a mirror like finish like the 1-way glass. Here are some pictures to entertain your eyes with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I have to do now is make a stop for the enternal drive bay cover, get some more fans for a mod I've been thinking of doing and getting some 5.25 in. bay HDD coolers. After that comes new hardware when I get the money up and more mods to come after that.

Until then keep modding!

8. The boy 4rm oz

Nice job on the connectors, looks really good.

9. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

yeah thats a pretty tough thing to get perfect.. looks like you did well

10. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Well nothing will be perfect perfect if you just use hand tools and a drill lol. I think it all came out pretty well. Im looking to get a modular power supply and wraping all the wires and getting some other video cards. Today after me and my dad go dump this carpet and collect our money I might make an aluminum stop for my inner side panel. I have a long block of aluminum that I can use. I was thinking of just attaching it with come double sided tape but screwes would work a lot better and look better in my eye. Tell me which you think? Im probably just going to use the double sided tape until I can get a tapping kit.

If i have enough money Im going to get me some more fans, a HDD cooler and another DVD burner so I dont have that ugly IDE cable in my case.

Until then keep modding!

11. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Pretty soon this case is going to go through a transformation. Im already designing it as I write this post. So far I can tell you its going to become a full tower case with 11 5.25 inch bays, the psu is going to be relocated to the bottom of the case to make room for 2 120mm exhaust fans. Its also going to have top mounted fans and 3 120 front fans. The front bezel is going to be tossed away and a new one will be made. New side panels and motherboard tray cut-outs with a fan on the backside for extra cpu cooling for the Stack Cool 2 technology on the ASUS motherboard I have. Its also going to recieve a brand new glossy black paintjob. inside and out. Im also going to get a new Phenom II 940 Black Edition CPU and 2 XFX GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition dGPU's. All I have to do is pic out the PSU and get all the metal needed for the build and some fans. Other things will come later. I dont want to give all my ideas away at this point in time.

12. Sushi Warrior

Sushi Warrior What's a Dremel?

I love Ultra cases. They're very good candidates for modding, simple, cheap, but still have a decent amount of build quality.

13. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

I like ultra cases too... im going to be revamping the look of this whold case... i dont have a good sketch of it but i do have what the front and side panel is going to look like. the only part i have to do is get the stuff to do it with.

14. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Ultra X-Blaster - New Design Idea (need materials)

Well everyone, Im at a new house now... i have a little some cash and I need new fans since the Masscool fans I purchaced are making a ticking sound now. Im looking to get some Cooler Master fans or some Ultra fans and adding some LED lights to them. I am looking to make this into a Full ATX case and move the psu to the bottom add some fan ports to the top of the case (dual 120mm or triple 120mm) still debating. With the new design i will have to make a whole new front bezel. This will be the hardest to do but with some patience it should turn out good. The design I have is only in photoshop and my head at the time. I might be able to do a rough Sketchup of my idea. Im also going to be getting new hardware when I start school since at that time I will have more money to spend on the more expensive parts.

Here is what i have now. Everything is in proportion so this is what it will kind of look like. If i was a little better i should put color on it but i cant get the gloss look that im looking for.

[​IMG]

I was thinking about just getting a new case but why do that when you get so much satisfaction of modding?

15. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Well I've finally purchaced some angled aluminum to make the bottom skeleton. I just need to get out the dremel soon and start measuring and making cuts. The only thing thats left is to get some sheet metal and some perferated metal (modders mesh) for the front bexel and some u-channel. The only thing i need to figure out is how i should make the front bexel.

16. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

New Pictures

I have a small update for everyone. I took my whole computer apart and started to do some modding. Dont worry about the crappy black paint thats on it now. That will be sandblasted off and some new black gloss car paint will be applied.

I figured I would spare you some time and space and not take pictures of the process of taking the case apart since everyone knows how to do that and what it takes to do so.

All the peices the case consists of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/Papa_Cherry/IMG00028-20090802-1344.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/Papa_Cherry/IMG00027-20090802-1344.jpg

This is one of the new plates I've made for the rear panel so I can make mounting the 2 new fans that im going to get for the rear exhaust.
    [​IMG]

Here is how the plate will fit. Fits like a glove!
    [​IMG]

17. The boy 4rm oz

I may have missed this but with 2 fans there, where will the PSU go?

18. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Looking really good, window looks great.

19. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

The PSU is going to be relocated to a bottom compartment. I have yet to cut all the peices due to rain here. Im basically making the mid-tower case to a full tower case and adding more fans. The hardest part is going to be making a front bezel, but ill figure that out once i get to it.

Thanks for the comment ryan, to bad that window is going bye bye. :(

20. UltraModder

UltraModder Play Hard!

Sorry I dont have an update to show everyone today. I did get all the peices cut for the bottom frame that will house the PSU today. Tomorrow I will find my drill bits and assemble the frame to see how it fits. just need to make a back plate to screw the PSU in and a bottom riser for the PSU to sit on. Ill need to get some U-Channel so that everything looks professional. I will probably order some stuff from mnpctech such as fan grills and feet or something. Ill do that when I have more money to spend.