1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Three Low Profile CPU Coolers Tested

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Suits me. My OEM casing only allows for coolers <140mm in height... Even though it's a full ATX case.

Of course, I'd probably best be getting a cooler using 92mm fans, rather than these HTPC coolers.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I swear I had a taller version of that Akasa cooler on my thunderbird 1.2 GHz about 6 years ago.

ThermoEngine

[​IMG]

4. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

Surely testing in an ITX case would have been better afterall that is what these coolers were designed for. Sure it might limit airflow and that might affect the cooling ability of the coolers (maybe even discriminatory) but as that's what these were designed for that 's what the review should try to discover.

Apart from that, good review. Thanks

5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

now you made me curious. does this have any value as GPU cooler (despite its size)?
    regardless: good review.

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Funny, before I even read this review I knew the Zalman would win lol.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Umm are you trying to tell that there was no on-board fan controllers before the PWM came along just a while back? :) Surely most motherboards can control the CPU fan speed without 4-pin PWM...

Other than that, good review, and good to see Zalman still making atleast some decent products.

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Not all motherboards have the option to do this. The only way to control a 3-pin fan's speed is by adjusting the voltage, a feature which many motherboard's dont support, and if they do, are controller by the motherboard, not the cooler. We'd just end up with a bunch of coolers all performing identically.As such, we test using only using the PWM option of the fan (which can, of course, be overridden by BIOS options itself) or, if a 3-pin, at full speed.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

My HTPC (Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H mobo) is currently wearing an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 LP on its Intel E4400 CPU.

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

All mobos have PWM nowadays? Pheew I've clearly not up to date...

It just still seems a bit harsh. I know I've had a fan controller in all my mobos for the last 7 years.

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

so, where on earth exactly can you actually _buy_ the gelid cooler in the UK?

12. roy

roy What's a Dremel?

The gelid cooler fits to my zotac 9300ITX ultra silm HTPC project, where can buy it?

13. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

" If we’d testing in a small case then limited airflow might have favours one cooler over another."

... which, if we ignore the english for a second, is exactly what you'd be interested in in a low profile cooler. surely.

14. sadlydefiant

sadlydefiant What's a Dremel?

The zalman looks good for my new SFF gaming setup as the stock e5200 cooler is just rubbish :)

15. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

Is the US price for the GELID in the wrong currency?

-CollinstheClown

16. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

Every motherboard I've used has been able to use PWM without a fourth pin (yes, pwm - not undervolting).

Download speedfan and if it doesn't work straight away, play with the advanced settings - different motherboards use different types of PWM.

Using speedfan you can set the fans to any level you want - keep turning it down until it's silent and then you're sorted!

17. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

To my knowledge, PWM is impossible without the forth pin feeding back information from the temperature sensor onboard the cooler.

Some motherboards do allow you to adjust three pin fan voltages on the fly, where apps like speedfan work great, but they take information from the CPU temperature sensor. This feature, while useful, isn't available on all motherboards, and is usually limited to BIOS controls like Asus' QFan.

Either way, it doesn't take a genius to go out, grab a fan controller (or even a step down voltage cable) and drop the fan's voltage, but with these coolers that's going to dramatically impact on cooling performance. Perhaps not dangerously, but it adds another variable which somewhat undermines the whole point of conducting testing. Even a world beating heatsink will be rubbish with a fan running at 100RPM, while even a rubbish cooler can be good if you strap a delta screamer onto it. It's a matter of preference and if you choose to manually adjust fan speeds at the cost of cooling that's you're personal choice.

18. adix

adix What's a Dremel?

Hi I'm a bit confused, the Gelid website states the silence 775 is not compatible with intel motherboards especially the dg45fc due to a chip on the back of the board obstructing the heatsink backplate. however in this article
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2009/06/11/low-profile-cpu-coolers-on-test/3

and this one

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2009/09/06/in-win-wavy-mini-itx-case-preview/2

they've used the gelid silence 775 heatsink with the dg45fc.

I'm interested to know if you/they modified it or the backplate or do anything special to fit the heatsink?

regards
    adrian

Tags: Add Tags