1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage is it time to move to SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 14 Jun 2009.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

ok, my Raptor seems to be dying. whenever i try to write large files to it (happens every time when downloading iTunes podcast), it comes up with NTFS.sys error BSOD. doesn't happen on other drives (copy large files, installing games on other drives are fine). :sigh:

are today's SSD's ready? is it able enough to be used as main OS drive?

also, what are the optimisations needs to be done on Vista 64bit?

on a related note, how's Samsung MLC SSD for a cheap solution?

2. Panther57

Panther57 AMD Dragon Fan.

I was asking myself the same question. Their pricey for the sapce still and limited in size but getting bigger. They are also in 2.5" for laptops not 3.5 as of yet.

They definately have advantages, especialy for sttuations like a dropped laptop and retention, lower power use and reliable. But is it an idea for an overclocked PC? I am looking forward to some reviews of people that are using them before I spend that much or at least until they drop more.

I learned a lot about them at Sandisk's website, They have an SDD College of information to educate us about them so I thought I would share that with you. I learned a lot about them there myself and.... well when they drop a little more I might go that way. They do seem the way of the future and have great read/write/access times. Replacing a raptor with one.... hope it gets what you expect. They use them in jet's, satellites to space shuttles so they must be good and reliable.

Good luck.

3. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

I hear lots of good things about SSDs, and I can get back to you in a few days once I get my X-25M up and running in my new box of magical computing.

The general consensus is that SSDs are nice to have if you have the money, and their performance benefits are very real and very noticeable, but that they're still on the expensive side ($/GB is ridiculous compared to mechanical drives, and capacity is still down there) and not necessary for a high-end rig.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Even my cheap 89.99 32GB Patriot Warp v2 screams. It's made such a difference in my overall usage.

Run Photoshop on one. That will convince you once and for all.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

There's still time for the storage size and the speed to increase, so I'd say not yet.

6. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

hi,

Have also been looking at the drive you mentioned... Iftheir shop in bristol was open on sundays then I would have bought 2 yesterday on my way down to good old weston :)

But it wasn't :(

have a look here http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186 there are a few sticky's with info on how to tweak the system for an ssd

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I would install Win7 RC as it has ssd capability built in.

8. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

not yet, it's still TOOOO expensive. If someone is buying it for u though..... ;)

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

SSD's are still very young in terms of there market age, right now blowing £100 for 64GB of storage that is no faster than a much cheaper 1TB drive it cant be a sensible choice.

I have been very tempted to grab an SSD, but i would rather grab 4 so i could build a decent RAID 1 array of them. 128GB mirrored would be perfect for my OS and apps.

10. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

Just make sure you turn the page file off in windows otherwise you will find your drive wont last very long because the drives dont like to be thrashed!!

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

ive decided that when i buy W7 (and i will, been on xp for a loooooong time now) i'll buy an SSD then. probably in about a year or so, to me it just makes sense to buy a new system drive and new OS together, also in a years time i'll get a much better drive for much less money.

if you need a new HDD then i reckon buying one now makes sense, just avoid the JMicron drives like the plague. Micro Mart had an interesting SSD group test this week, its only £2.00 go smiths and pick one up.

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

If the Falcon releases in Holland at a proper price, i'm jumping on board too. The time is definately there to go for SSD, but for worry-free operation, go for one that contains either the Ilindinx or the Intel controller chips. That makes your shortlist:

OCZ Vertex
    Intel
    G-Skill Falcon

If you care to read all of it, go to anandtech and read his article on the Vertex, it'll tell you why it's so much better then the others.

13. [PUNK] crompers

in depth review of the Samsung 64GB MLC here

having read this review it seems that Samsung have created their own controller for these drives that apparently performs very well.

you've got me thinking now - would it be worth picking up a 64GB samsung one now for £100.00 and then selling it on for something quicker and bigger in a years time? hmmmmm (looks at wallet)

14. trig

trig god's little mistake

no faster? misspoke?

i've always been a bang for the buck kind of guy, and really the speed increase overall performance-wise doesn't seem to be worth it at all, but at the same time, if i had the dough, i'd do it.

15. [PUNK] crompers

the thing is that almost every time your mega fast system slows its because of that damn mechanical HDD - the only thing with moving parts left in the case. A good SSD sorts out the weakest link in your system and its that which makes these things so attractive.

the idea of a proc reading and writing from solid state RAM and storage??? call me sad but that just does it for me.

16. trig

trig god's little mistake

im with ya...

17. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

You nailed the Anandtech reference, but you missed a couple of drives. As of now, Indilinx-based drives include:

- OCZ Vertex
    - G-Skill Falcon
    - SuperTalent UltraDrive
    - Patriot Torqx
    - OCZ Agility (slower than all the above)

- Diosjenin -

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would wait for the JMicron 612 drives to drop - many companies I spoke to at Computex are waiting for their OEMs or are waiting to buy flash from more vendors to spec their own so there should be far more options available in 1-3 months.

But, it depends on the performance of course, although the price should be far more tolerable than all these "high priced" Samsung NAND ones.

That said, working with an SSD that has cache as your boot drive is the ****ing daddy!! click as fast as you can on Word or Firefox and it'll load as fast as your finger moves.

19. [PUNK] crompers

WANT

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I installed Windows7 x64 on one last night from DVD - took 20mins from switching on 'til desktop. Usually, the desktop comes up, then the taskbar, then the icons in the system tray appear, your antivirus, your sound icon, etc.. well, basically you don't wait, once the desktop appears, that's about it, you're good to go. IE8 loads in the blink of an eye. I didn't have much chance to try any more out. I timed one cold boot and it took just under a minute to get to desktop where I launched IE8.

Quite impressed.