1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Ideas for HAL project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shadowman, 17 Nov 2002.

1. Shadowman

Shadowman What's a Dremel?

If anyone doesn't know yet, I am starting a project (incidentally in project logs) on an old supercomputer case.

I decided to call it HAL (for obvious supercomputer reasons) and was asking for any suggestions to my project, as I am always open to ideas :)

One of my ideas (which was sparked off by a post in project logs talking about HAL's eye) is going to be working on a method of control via a webcam via motion sensing.

Could possibly make the webcam pick up hand movements in front of it with a red LED, then on a blue LED lighting up would account for a left button click, and for a green LED lighting up could count for a right click.

Would have to do a bit of work on programming an app that intercepts motion and redirects it to mouse input, unless I can find one...

Any ideas/help on the possibilities of this method would be helpful and appreciated :D

2. Shadowman

I have come up with another idea for HAL...

Tho I am not too sure about the likelihood of it being possible to do so :blah:

I was thinking of a remote login remote control based case, e.g. I stick a laptop into the undercarriage, attach a webcam to the laptop, then from the laptop comes out a serial cable to a remote control reciever and the laptop send signals to the reciever to control a motor from a wheelchair to make it move, and the laptop relays where I am going via the webcam (and a wireless lan link)

What do ppl think?

In case you don't know, I have access to a laptop that can be cannibalised, and also an electric wheelchair... :D

3. Shadowman

I got me the HAL eye component :)

I had to go into this multi purpose store thingy (that sells lots of cool tools and general stuff) and just instantly saw what I was looking for in the window: an old fachioned alarm clock, with a convex glass shaped window to see the dials...

It just had to be mine...

and for £3.50 it was. I then took it home and instantly proceeded to tear the alarm clock apart to get the glass panel out :D

The panel looks great. all I gotta do now is work out how a webcam and a red led can work close to each other in harmony...

Now that will be a fun one to work out... :eyebrow:

4. Shadowman

I have lots of ideas for my project, and I have *so* gotta get me a move on with mine. Has to be finished in 9 days...

Not good trying to cram in a project that I would usually take a few months on into a fortnight :(

I have got plenty to do on this project yet:

A window kit

A waterfall panel (not sure yet about UV reactivity)

Lots of painting

One HAL eye, with working webcam hidden behind it

And only 9 days...

I am pushing it a bit aren't I?

Ah well, lots of modding tomorrow then...

5. beta124

beta124 What's a Dremel?

From the original hal project I think the most important of all of them will be the eye because that will bring the past to the future. The next thing to do is to make it a little more modern with the acrylic window. After that do the painting - or even better keep the rustic looking case, that might even be more appealing than a new coat of paint. Wipe the dust off of it and give it a good waxing and the used, old look will set it apart from any other case. Other than that it is up to you. The webcam and the led is going to be an issue unless you have the lcd behind the lens of the camera and have the focus farther than just the glass surface. Good luck on your mods!!!