1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hiccups mar iPhone 3.0 update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Mine updated first time without any problems. My only gripe with 3.0 is that it reduces the maximum time of autolock from 1 hour to 5 mins! Seeing as work forces me to have autolock on it's a bit annoying to say the least.

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

I updated mine with the dev version last week hopefully it doesnt 'expire', itunes seems happy its uptodate for now; one of my buddies and I were shooting missiles in EVE when he mentioned he had to pick up his GF 'soon', shortly after he thought out loud 'waiting for a text from the GF is probably not a good time to be half way through updating iphone' literally seconds later another friend joined the ventrilo channel raging as his iphone had just finished the software update but was stuck in emergency mode pending itunes blessing. How I laughed...

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Mine updated fine. Took 4 attempts at registering again with itunes due to the servers being raped, but was OK as soon as it managed to phoned home.

5. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Ran mine through at about 10PM my time, everything seemed fine.

6. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

What's an iPhone?

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im waiting for a jailbreak to come out for it, then upgrade.

how's 3.0 compare to 2.2.1? are your apps crashing? any degrade in smoothness and general slow-down from 2.2.1?

2.2.1 is working very well for me, i'm hesitate to upgrade. 2.0 coming from 1.1.4 was not that great.

8. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It seems a lot faster in general use for me. No compatibility issues :thumb:

9. trickster

trickster What's a Dremel?

My iPhone locked and only allowed me to make emergency calls for about 30 mins towards the end of the upgrade. I guessed it was a server problem so left it plugged in. Sorted itself out all on its own in the end.

So far upgrade works fine. I think 3.0 runs smoother than 2.2.1. Opening settings, selecting wireless networks etc seems quicker to me. No app problems so far either.

I imagine a lot of people panic when errors like these occur and make things worse by trying to sort it out themselves i.e. unplugging the phone etc. Why is everyone always in such a rush!?

10. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

I did mine fine, then did my dads and his locked.. I had to connect/disconnect it about 50 times before it finally authenticated, what an annoyance.

11. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

everything working fine in my ipod touch with os 3.0. it seems a little more responsive, but not by a far stretch. widescreen keyboard was something I absolutely needed, my fingers are thick and i always mis-spelled before, now i barely make typos in widescreen. also, WIFI seems to take longer to recognize networks, but connects instantly, instead of having to wait to see when it would be responsive (os 2.2.1), which is good.

ps: skype app does say it's uncompatible with os 3.0 when i load it, but i just used it calling my computer and everything went fine: chat/pic sharing/call

12. kaujazz

kaujazz What's a Dremel?

I tried over 50 times and it gives me error 3259

13. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Or you could have waited instead....

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Mine upgraded without a hitch --no locks, no registering or authentication issues. Works fine too. But I noted the exact time at which the launch would happen and got in there within the first 5 minutes.

But do you really want to leave your iPhone unlocked for an hour? All you have to do is press the top button... If , as I suspect, you actually mean the password lock, that has been increased from 15 minutes to 1 hour. Bliss.

15. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I played it dangerous and updated it about 12:30 CDT yesterday. Everything went fine (I am assuming I got in before the mad rush), but I got a SIM card not recognized message in iTunes. A reboot/reconnect of the iPhone solved this issue.

Smooth, a bit faster and lots of little tweaks that haven't made the forefront of the news (like the edit button available in all contact screens instead of just those accessed from the address book)

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

one completely bricked phone came into work today. Updated but itunes wouldn't recognise the phone.

The S is stupidly quick, roll on 9.02 tomorrow. Anyone who wants to stop by and say hello....I'll be the one dealing with upgrades

17. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Updated fine ... just totally under-whelmed.

Cant wait for the 3G S

18. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Does any one know if O2 allow you to use the iPhone as a 3G dongle?

19. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

they do, but it'll cost ya :)

20. Kris.

Kris. What's a Dremel?

I love the update, done it this morning !
    No hiccups for me, worked perfectly first time !
    The ipod seemed alot quicker and more responsive for me, i love the search function, saves so much time :) Shake to shuffle is real handy as well, works like a charm !
    I didn't bother with the voice recog thing, its not something i would use. The music seems a bit clearer than usual aswell :)

<3 Ipods

Tags: Add Tags