1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting excited

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by spt, 13 Jun 2009.

1. RSoP_Robbers2706

RSoP_Robbers2706 Often called Sheldon Cooper

Oh cool! You use Moodle!

How do you rate your VLE? We use Frog which looks quite nice but the company try to hide costs of expansions as you get hooked and want them! Grrrr! *Shakes fist*

You will most certainly be on a domain else you must have a hell of a lot of IT techs there! haha

At home, you will mostly likely have a workgroup network. This is quite simply a collection of networked computers normally, but not always without a server. Each computer has it's own ACL (Access Control List) which is like a telephone directory if you like, listing all of the users that can access the computer.

This is great and cheap for quickly sharing resources in a small environment however, the disadvantage is that you have to create a user name and password on each computer.

A domain based network involves a Directory stored on a server (Domain Controller). This introduces centralised management meaning that a user account is created once which is stored in the directory where users can then be granted access to a list of specified computers.

You have quite a few servers by the looks of things!

The college's main website appears to be hosted on Windows Server 2003 as it's an IIS based website.

The VLE is also running on Windows Server 2003 and despite the Windows Moodle packages using Xampp which is a portable Apache webserver, your guys have got IIS setup to process php...... They know what they're doing! :thumb:

I notice that Staff also have a remote Citrix based facility.....:rock:

You guys should have words with your tech's! heheheh! :naughty:

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

WOW how the hell do you know all that?
    THATS AMAZINg!!!!!!!!!!

VLE lol rubbish realy
    one of the web design teachers is develpoing a new one as we speak
    so should be good.

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I havent seen the gear our tech's use but the noise the server room makes seems to me that theres lots :)

Webserver
    Exchangeserver (Emails)
    i know they have those :)

Id quite like to work in a school as IT tech :)
    Am doing system support as my college course :)

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

My Uni uses Moodle too ;) The whole system was set up by one of my lecturers, Dr Colin Turner. The man is a certifiable genius, by far and away the smartest person that I have ever met. Funny as funny gets, too. He makes analytical engineering methods much less boring than anyone else possibly could :D

The whole system in UU is actually very impressive. The server room that I was in briefly is one of the most advanced that I've ever seen, and the network is generally 100% working 100% of the time, which is impressive when you consider that it spans 4 campuses at opposite ends of the country and involves thousands of machines :)

Last edited: 17 Jun 2009
  5. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

Uni, your "Farms Status" link is broke!

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ino, stoopid web host messes up my account at least once per month. Should be fixed by midnight tonight I'm told *Sighs*

7. RSoP_Robbers2706

I am seriously impressed with the progress that is being made now and I still haven't actually released the SMP client.......

8. spt

spt What's a Dremel?

Why not?

What am I paying you for??!?!?!?!?!?

9. RSoP_Robbers2706

*Hunts for job description.....*

Well.......... HAHAHAAH :naughty:

But if this is how good we are doing now, just wait for the big baheemeth of a client to go on!!!

Now to get some sleep! haha

10. RSoP_Robbers2706

Just an update guys:

To make improvements and for a bit of fun whilst things are hectic, I've been trying Notfreds SMP kit.

On my personal machine, it was a tad iffy to start with as work units did not start and after about 15 minutes, it crashed. I've had a bit of a tinker about and sorted that problem but its highly tempting to have a play with more machines using the SMP client noticing the possible output levels.