1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Whats going to be faster?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AFX, 21 Jun 2009.

1. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

On my work computer I have 2 sticks of ddr2 pc3200 in dual channel mode. I have the option to get a 1gb stick of ddr2 pc5300. but it would be running in single channel mode. So what set up would be faster. Also just so you don't say just add the 1gb stick in I only have 2 slots.

2. gamergod05

gamergod05 What's a Dremel?

2g for sure you will need it to get most speed out of pc especially if you going to go with vista or windows 7 os.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

As Vista/Win7 puts everything on the RAM, faster RAM is beneficial, however, more RAM the better it is as Vista/Win7 takes RAM.

I would say go with 2GB, because with 1GB page file would be used to much.
    Then go to the store and get high speed memory (faster, the better), for 2GB and attach it to your computer, and set it to (this option will appear on the autorun window), as ReadyBoost. The USB stick will be tested, and if it passes in speed and driver support, your system will use your USB stick as more RAM :D
    It sure is slower than your RAM, however it's faster than paging on your HDD, as the access time is greater. WARNING: When doing so, you won't be able to use your USB memory key as a memory key, and that pulling out of the system could crash an application (there is a backup feature on your HDD in the case this happens, but you never know). I suggest to put the USB key behind the computer and leave it there.

This way you have 2GB of RAM of descent speed for the OS, superfetch and little more. Than you have your USB key which will be used instead of your HDD.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

How big are the two sticks currently on your work PC?

5. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

Oh I should have said that they are 512mb sticks. this is a work computer( i work the late night so i dont have much to do than try and play games). its going to always have xp on it. so is 2 sticks of 512mb pc3200 dual channel going to be faster than 1gb pc5300 in single channel?