1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Best Card for my Needs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by p-dawg86, 17 Jun 2009.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

For the sake of $40 why would you choose a platform thats most likely near its end of life.

I was in the same situation and made the decision to go AM3, it may not give you a massive increase in performance but at least you are more likely to have an upgrade path should you need it.

2. p-dawg86

p-dawg86 What's a Dremel?

Thats been going in my head recently too. I mean, I'm gonna end up paying that extra $40 1 way or another eventually, might as well be now. What hardware did you end up with?

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah $40 isn't really the kind of difference I was hoping for... And that even includes a slower CPU. I guess I just haven't been following AMD-stuff closely enough :/ Well, worth checking anyway.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I bought the MSI 790FX GD70 with the 955BE and 4gb of OCZ's AMD edition ram. I am using the Titan Fenrir cooler which is just brilliant, although because of its lack of orietentation I have had to locate my 275 gpu in the 2nd 16x slot as it would have been in too close proximity to the fan on the Fenrir blocking its available air path.

If you can extend your budget further then I would definitely swap the crucial ram for the following ram that I am using, its low voltage and will do 1333@ 6,6,6,20 which apparently is the sweet spot for AM3.

OCZ AMD Edition Ram

Last edited: 21 Jun 2009
  5. p-dawg86

Completely agree. Thanks!

As for the OCZ, here's the main problem - I'm a college student with no job. The amount of money I am making this summer depends on how many side jobs (yard work, housing maintenance etc.) I can whore out each week from family members until school starts again. :) By the way, nice system CrapBag!

6. p-dawg86

7. Jewels

Jewels What's a Dremel?

8. trig

trig god's little mistake

9. p-dawg86

Ah. I see. Very well then. Do you think the 4870 is the same? I'm doubting it.

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

no, the 4870 requires both plugs.