1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning What case is best for modding?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by gundog48, 21 Jun 2009.

1. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

I am starting a new project and want a sandbox case for modding. What would you reccomend and where could I buy it cheap in the UK?

2. Atheistmunk

Atheistmunk planing future mod

lian li -AO5

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

What does "sandbox case" mean? I'm from the colonies but I've had elebenty different cases in the last 20 yrs.

Suggestions would be Lian-Li, CM, Silverstone, Antec, etc.

Just shy away from cases made by Bob's Universal Computer Case Company! /sarcasm

john

5. DrALQ

DrALQ What's a Dremel?

Maybe CM 690 or Lian-Li PC-7

6. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Your imagination... you can make your own, buy something, make it as crazy as you want... Some cases offer more features that may be worth salvaging in scratch builds though, so maybe look for a case that has some neat features that you may want to take and re-use etc. etc. Agree with hanlon's "no bob's universal" crap... our IT guy thought it would be cool to buy an el-cheepo 30 dollar case with side panel and led's, I ended up cutting myself trying to remove the stupid slot covers since they were attached, and the thing was soo flimsy I warped the backplate trying to install it... Was probably the worst case I've ever used, and it was just terribly flimsy and worthless. His excuse was it fit the budget and with the side panels on it's sturdy enough... pahh

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

True! Screw BOB - been there done that moved on. I have done cases that cut me more than I cut them. Stick with the bigger names and pay a little(or a lot) more and get a quality case.

john

8. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

lian li. aluminium is easy to use, and light.

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Depends on what you want to achieve.

If your project requires a lot of cutting in the case panels, Lian Li cases are the easiest panels to cut imho.

10. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

Hi,
    Thanks for all the responses! Nice to see mnpctech here! I intend to create a Call of Duty 5 themed case (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=170394), which will involve lots of cutting. I will remove the bezel and pretty much remove all of the front metal bit and replace it with panels for different things. I will be adding a side window and fan on the side, so that is quite important. Almost all of the bottom will be removed and replaced with mnpctech's honeycomb modders mesh, just leaving room for the feet. The top will be similar but with a 120mm fan on it.

I hope this helps, I really don't want to spend much on the case, but I realise that the quality is important. Would you reccommend something like this: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus-TA-881-Black-Silver-Midi-Tower-Case-w-o-PSU?

I may contact Maplin or Ebuyer and ask if they would be able to provide a case that's slightly damaged or has a missing a PSU (dent's go with the overall theme!), maybe I could get an old one from mnpctech? Anyway, that remains the most important question in my mod!

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd just buy the cheapest case possible and work on it until an idea develops.

Or buy the case based upon the mod you want to make! :thumb

12. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

Hi,
    I have found a few good cases to mod from. The main question is thickness. Will 0.5mm be enough? I will be adding a fan and a side window to the side panel. I am removing the bezel from the front and replacing it with a 3mm (heavily modded) new front. The top and bottom will be almost entirely replaced with mesh and I will add a metal framework to the bottom to hold it from the ground.