1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Game recommendations, bring my games collection up to date (or closer to date)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by hm1992, 18 Jun 2009.

1. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

Ok, this summer I'm going to get myself a new graphics card (nothing too fancy but something nice like a 4770 or a 4850 or something) - atm I have a Geforce 7300 LE
    The rest of my pc is pretty good:
    2Gb Ram, AMD X2 4400+, dell mobo, (basically dell e521), 1440 x 900 flat panel
    I need some recommendations for new games that will look good with my system, that I'll like.
    Games I liked:
    Need for Speed Underground 2, Star Wars Battlefront 1, Prince of Persia - Sands of Time, Mirror's Edge (my most recent game)
    I like sports games as well - football/rugby
    I don't like games like Neverwinter Nights (RPG style) and I can never be bothered to play RTS games cause they take too long but anything else is fair play.
    That was vague but I'm hoping some of you will come out with some good suggestions
    I was looking at assassin's creed 1 and beyond good and evil maybe
    They don't have to be the very latest games (as you can see all my games are from the same period, quite a few years ago).
    I could just get the various sequels but that would be boring.
    Beginning to think I should buy an XBox 360 but I don't really have the money for that and games (and I have a wii shared with my sister).
    By the way I normally like a demo to see if I like it so if you could post links to demos that would be brill.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2009
  2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Team fortress 2
    Prototype
    Oblivion :3
    Fallout 3 :3
    Grid (if you can do it)
    Team fortress 2

3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Orange box is a must.

grid.
    Assasins creed is pretty good.
    Tomb raider underworld.
    Bioshock
    Mirrors edge is great, but on a 7300 le ??
    Crysis and warhead.
    Left for dead.
    Not out for a couple of weeks but i'm looking forward to streetfighter 4.

4. hm1992

hm1992 What's a Dremel?

I tried Bioshock (borrowed from a mate) but i'm not too keen on full on shooters, (I also fail at Call of Duty)
    Mirror's Edge was not that bad on a 7300LE but i am not used to good (previously had a PCI version of a 128mb radeon 9200)
    I also tried GRID demo but I just couldn't play at 15 fps because it was too difficult to control.
    I know that bias exists one way or another but I do you think I should buy an xbox 360 and not the graphics card, for the gaming without installing, easy pre-owned and trade in, and ease of borrowing friends games.
    Its tempting but I'll have to save up.

5. gaz_360

gaz_360 Make that change

Really it depends on how much you want to spend on upgrading your current system.

The 360 base model can be gotten for a touch over £100 now, but the games are £30-£40 generally (new titles anyway), where as PC games are quite a bit cheaper.

Also of course with an 360 you can reap the benfits of xbox live.

Your choice really at the end of the day, I have had a 360 now for 3 years and I loved it, but have recently gotten into PC gaming, and ive got to admit im suprised at the vast amount of audience the PC caters for.

Gaz :)

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

If your moneys limited then get an xbox360, and if you have mates that have games then great.

Pc gaming i think is more of a 'hobby', and people regularly spend money on their hobby's.

You have consoles for the casual gamers and the pc for the enthusiast.

7. countstex

countstex What's a Dremel?

I know you say you don;t like RPG's like NWN, but might I suggest Mass Effect? It's an RPG, but not quite in the same vein, and it's got some 'shooter' elements without being a full on FPS. I think it might be a blend you like. Plays fine on my X1900XT at 1440x900 (TFT is 1920x1200)
    As Erratum1 says though, if you want to keep costs/upgrades to a minimum and still play the best of games an XBOX is a superb choice. I mainly return to my PC for RTS games where keyboard/mouse is essential in my mind, and since you don't like them you have nothing to loose. You can still use any old PC or even a netbook for some indie games/casual stuff like the pop-cap games and sites like Kongregate.

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

hahaha casuals nice

if you want to play modern games on a pc you need to inject some money into your computer otherwise you will be stuck playing system shock 2 for the 10th time. Not that it'll get boring, its a great game but you want progression and i sympathise.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Beyond Good and Evil is a good choice and very cheap. You can pick it up for a fiver.

If you're interested in games like that I'd also suggest Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (also about £5) and Psychonauts (probably around £10).

All of them are very good, very fun third person action games. Beyond Good and Evil is a bit more adventurey, Prince of Persia is a bit more of a dramatic and straight story (but with a cool time-control gimmick) and Psychonauts is a bit more free-roaming and funny.

Personally, at that cost I'd pick up all three on whichever platform you want and then just see which you fancy the most. All of them are under-rated classics and look gorgeous thanks to excellent presentation and design, but all of them will definitely run on your PC too. All I will say is that you might want to pick up a gamepad for your PC if you're not comfy with a keyboard - an Xbox 360 one can be had reasonably cheap.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Oohhh, Psychonauts, I have to get that come to think of it.

And I know I'm going against OP, but CivIV and AOE3 are great fun games.

Orange Box is a must for you.

GTR3?

11. books

books What's a Dremel?

Here's some you might like:

Fifa Soccer 2009 (I liked this on PC)
    Portal
    World of Goo
    Trackmania Nations Forever
    Space Rangers 2: Reboot

12. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

COD4, absolutely amazing. Have played it almost every day since the day of release :D

13. joangracoffande

joangracoffande What's a Dremel?

Agreed, except for fallout, i actually didn't enjoy it much

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

COD 5, yes, I know, it's not as good, but there's nothing more satisfying than Molotoving someone whose running away from you.

Nor those moments when you're destroying that tank with satchels in multiplayer.

Don't expect much from the single player though.