1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Help with this mod idea!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by gundog48, 20 Jun 2009.

1. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

Hi,
    I am going to attempt to follow the footsteps of the legendary Wolfenstein FuG-01/ET case (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=87387) but with a COD5 theme.

The main design will be mostly the same, but I will have a green side window with wide mesh behind it to make it look like reinforced glass. I will also add a 92mm side fan for GPU cooling and some Russian writing as well as a mesh bottom. I will add a sketchup soon.

What I would like you to help me with is how I could get it to cool enough for a modern rig. I have a Geforce 9800GTX, AMD Phenom x4 and will be adding some more gaming RAM. I would like to add a front fan, but how would I do that without ruining the theme? The mesh bottom should help if the case is raised enough, should I add a top exhaust fan as well?

The only other thing is I am on a very tight budget, so I can't be spending much on fancy stuff, I can get plexiglass and mesh very cheap, but that's about it! I can add a load of bullet holes and make slits using a dremel, but that wont help much!

I hope you can help,
    Jake

2. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

Update: I plan to have an entirely mesh bottom, and have a 120mm top fan in the middle of the top with two large mesh squares. Sketchup coming soon!

3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

the top exhaust hole will work wonders. You might also consider mounting a fan on the bottom to help pull in through the mesh, if you don't want to mess with the front.

4. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

Hi,
    Thanks for the help! I have almost finished the basic sketchup which I will post later and link to.

5. Urgonath

Urgonath The one and only Urgo

Yeah top fan is good. As for the low budget if you want great airflow, you'll probably have to sacrifice noise reducing components as next to silent fans generally cost more. unless you've already got some lying around of course.

6. gundog48

gundog48 Modder noobcake

Hi,
    My very basic sketchup is done! Is it usual to post the sketchup file or screenshots? I amy make a video.