1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Yarrrbox :: Update 4th November :: Dead PSU/Painting Done

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by GuardianStorm, 3 Apr 2007.

1. erethryn

erethryn What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'm based in the UK.

Unfortunately, all the suppliers of risers just seem to deal in either PCI or ISA, or the cards have multiple PCI and ISA slots, I can't find the particular card (shown above) with just one PCI and one ISA.

I can't use anything larger as it's going into the same Neoware case as in this thread.

A standard 1U PCI riser fits nicely, but the contacts must be incorrect, as the power light comes on as soon as the box is plugged in (usually doesn't come on until the power button is pressed) and it won't boot :(

I have even managed to find and email two Chinese manufacturer/supplier websites based on the card reference (JM2-RC202), but they haven't replied to my emails.

Thanks.

2. GLC

GLC What's a Dremel?

I have the exact same mod in front of me. One question, how did you get power to the 2,5" harddrive since the neoware doesnt have any molex connectors? I assume your not still running the disk on power from your regular PC?

The HX-IDE-K will soon arrive and i will then start modding this excellent little machine..

3. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

I have just had a look round my parts box and cant find the riser...i wonder where its gone...il let you know if i find it in the near future.

Haha no the disk is not powered by my 'regular pc'. The power comes from the 44 pin cable that attaches the hard disk to the motherboard, so no extra cables are required.

Now if only i had a replacement PSU for it or the energy to build a new one...

4. GLC

GLC What's a Dremel?

Excellent, thanks. Until the HX-IDE-K has arrived i will try and boot Geexbox from USB, and use it as a HTPC connected to the TV.

About the PSU. From what i know, since we use to have these at work, the PSU usually works, it's the power adapter that goes dead. Have you checked this? Perhaps it doesnt make a difference but it might be easier getting a hold of a new adapter than the PSU.

5. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

This is looking really tidy, that blue paintjob is tasty!

6. GLC

GLC What's a Dremel?

I got my hands on another Neoware CA2, this one has the same specs but the DOM chip is located on the ide connector, leaving the chip connector empty. Removed it and replaced the chip connector with the chip DOM/DCM from the other Neoware CA2, didnt want to boot with that, no signal to monitor.

Would be nice to have the ide connector free for a disk in the future, though planning on installing Geexbox or a small linux dist on the onboard chip.

Ideas?

Tags: