1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Zenimax buys id Software

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

next we'll hear they are making a rts or something

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Please let this be a hint at a remake of Hexen please let this be a hint at a remake of Hexen please ohh sorry I'm repeating myself.

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I can only begin to imagine the horror of an ill-fated doom-fallout crossover....

5. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Does that mean we choose be to good or evil in the next Doom game?

6. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

WOW, this can't be good, Bethesday is easily the most overrated maker of games today, Id well, they really don't make that good of games anymore anyway.

7. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Doom RPG anyone ?

Or Rage...
    I've got the feeling there's going to be a lot of DLC.

8. Natima

Natima What's a Dremel?

Why is everyone so pessimistic?
    Personally I think this is great news.
    They're both great developers with great back catalogues and styles. It'll be good to see if they take a peice of each others pie to imrove games from both companies.

9. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Id, make great engines but can't write for toffee.
    Bethesda, make good, involving stories but stick an engine together with a random selection of off the shelf technologies and some blue-tac.

Sounds like an excellent coming together to me.

10. sear

sear Guest

Unexpected? Definitely. It's mutually very good, however. Bethesda Softworks, the developer, gets free access to id Software's technological expertise as well as the ability to use their engine technology, areas where Bethesda has always been lacking. Meanwhile, id Software gets financial leverage it needs to expand (they are very small for a triple-A studio at less than 50 people), plus a large pool of design talent to draw from. It's win-win.

Until the crossover, anyway.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Raven Software made Hexen (and Heretic and Soldier of Fortune and some other titles as well). That said, I could do with a new installment in the Heretic/Hexen universe. :)

IMHO, Raven always made the better games using Id's tech.

12. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

Well, in case you weren't paying attention which you obviously weren't...id Software has been bought out by the parent of Bethesda, not Bethesda. Zenimax is a multimedia organization that covers TV, Mobile, etc, etc. id Software will most likely be run as it's always been run, as I think the view is that breaking the work dynamic will break the company.

Quake 4.

13. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

It was better than Doom III....

14. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Hello, how do you know any of this? Assume much? for all you know they will merge to two together, the first 3 words in assume spell.........

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Just a hint... @ Lepermessiah

Anyways, I think this is one of the saddest days ever for FPS people of the old generation [you know, the ones that actually played Hexen, Quake and Doom instead of talking about it]. Why?
    Well, id is great at what they do. Awesome engines that always push boundaries. Games that follow a certain pattern and never try to be more than they really are: Shooting fests with lots of aliens.
    Not everyone likes their games, many have never played the originals but claim the new ones are "nothing like the original". Just don't expect games like HL/HL2 from id. They won't have the best story lines or the most detailed characters. I mean, look at the Doom marine, maybe the most underdeveloped main character in a game ever.

Anyways, me and my friends always used to say that id will be the last games maker not being bought out by any money whoring publisher. Well, it just happened. I'm sad despite all the opportunities that now open to id and their franchises.

16. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

don't care, not enjoyed anything from ID since Q3A

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Guys, they haven't merged. They are still two seperate development teams with seperate ideas. The only thing this really affects is the marketing and business side of things

Stop being such pessimistic whine babies.

18. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yay! Now that they screwed Fallout, they can now screw another franchise....

19. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

you could in doom 3. it had little or no impact on the game (access to ammo and stuff depending how you chose)

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

id and carmack have a long history of doing what they want. carmack isnt the type to listen to others. and really, you think they'll turn Doom into an RPG? you think it will stray away from it's roots? come on. be serious!

Tags: Add Tags