1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Identify Bios?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pas7680, 26 Jun 2009.

1. pas7680

pas7680 overcloked Pc = Central heating :-)

Is there anyway to identify what bios a mobo ships with? I've just purchased a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 v3.3 second user off ebay, but upon installation i get nothing, power comes on the hsf spins up for a second then the system reboots, no beeps or anything.

I'm trying to use an e4600 cpu which according to the support list was first introduced in 3rd bios revision, as the cpu is the only item i don't have multiple of i can't be sure if this isn't the problem. I really don't want to purchase another cpu just to test this.

I'm getting the silent treatment from the seller at the moment, so i can't find out what cpu he was running before.

Should the mobo beep or anything if an insupported cpu is inserted?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you have a PC speaker connected, then yes, you should get a POST bleep of some kind.

Look for a revision number on the Mobo itself, then check on the Gigabyte website to see what revision BIOS it shipped with.

3. pas7680

the version is 3.3, but i can't find anywhere stating what bios it shipped with. The 3.3 descrition talks about supporting quad core processors straight out of the box, and those were introduced in the same bios revision.

I totally forgot to hook up a mobo speaker, as i don't usually bother with them anymore, i'll try hooking one up later when i get back from work.

the reboot symtoms i desribed above, would they be a likely unsupported cpu problem?

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Possibly, yeah.... the post code beeps will tell you what's going on.

5. pas7680

Ok, i've tried adding a speaker to get the error beeps.....but there are none!!!! not that i think there would be enough time to do them anyway the system reboots within 3 seconds.

The seller got back to me about the processor he was using on it, and as you would guess it's one that is supported by default on the first bios revision. The manual for this boards revision that came with it, states the bios will ajust automatically between 1066 and 1333mhz cpu's, which to me sounds like it's shipped with a later bios as my processor is only a 800mhz.

I'm really tring to avoid, forcing the guy into taking the mobo back, as returning stuuf off ebay is a pain.

6. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Have you tried reseting the CMOS? It could be the sellers CPU was overclocked and the same settings aren't working with your CPU/RAM.

7. pas7680

Yeah i've tried all the usually things, i've interchanged all the components apart from the cpu, everything works fine on another mobo.

The resetting problem is the main bother, the fact it resets within a couple of seconds is odd.

8. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

Did you remove the CMOS battery before resetting the BIOS?

9. pas7680

Nope never needed to in the past, and the manual states you don't need to either. I just removed the battery for 30 secs, but on another attempt i think i shorted the pins as well.

10. shadow

shadow honky ponky

disconnect the power cord from the PSU before taking battery out and shorting the pins of cmos clear jumper sometimes it helps to make "real" cmos clear. some mates also say it's also good to wait not 30 secs but 10 up to 20 minutes

and the only way to check what is mobo's bios version is to run it and check at the post screen

11. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

Yes, try that. I've had to do the same although I only waited a minute or so. If it doesn't work try waiting 20 or 30 minutes.

12. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

The CPU might be a problem, there are cases where an error can occur such as a machine check exception can cause the system to reboot without warning. If the BIOS does not know how to set up the CPU properly, it could be faulting and causing the reboot.

Any idea if the BIOS is AMI, Award, or Phoenix? there may be a 'recovery' option that can load a BIOS image and update it that way.