1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning disassembling seagate "external desktop" drive...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Shinymod, 27 Jun 2009.

1. Shinymod

Shinymod What's a Dremel?

Has anyone had one of these apart?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/product/87668-Seagate-External-Desktop-Drive-1TB.html

I've just bought one with the intention of backing up all my crap to it, but I want to whip the drive out and connect it internally so that it won't take so long... And maybe switch it for a smaller drive and keep the 1TB internal.

Anyway the point is... No screws, no immediately noticeable tabs when I'm prying the lid with a screwdriver.. And I'm reluctant to force it too hard in case I break it. So if anyone knows the secret to getting one open I'd love to know!

2. Shinymod

Shinymod What's a Dremel?

ok I just solved the mystery myself! haha. I'll post some pics in case anyone else has the same problem.

3. jthoroo

jthoroo What's a Dremel?

disassembling the seagate drive

Hello,
    I bought one today. Also I cannot see at first sight how to open the casing.
    Please send me the instructions and photo's, I want to remove the drive if it is a sata drive, to put it in a NAS.
    Tnx in advance...send your mail to jthoroo@yahoo.com

John

4. jthoroo

jthoroo What's a Dremel?

Still waiting for tips how to disassemble the seagate external desktop drive.
    Anybody ?

John

5. jthoroo

jthoroo What's a Dremel?

And waiting...waiting...everybody is on vacation, I suppose...:geek:

6. sharpedge

sharpedge What's a Dremel?

Hi. I also would like to know how to take the case apart. I bought one last week for a function on sunday. Downloaded some photos to it and now it doesn't open. Sending it back for replacement will mean losing all my data, which I haven't saved anywhere else. Who expects a new drive to stop after a couple of days? Would really appreciate the pictures on how to open it.

7. thetrivialstuff

thetrivialstuff What's a Dremel?

8. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

So effectively you have bought a 1tb drive for a higher price than just a drive and now will have an empty external HDD case you don't need?

(not getting at you, i did the same thing 4 years ago with a 100gb maxtor drive, used it externally for a little while and ended up pulling it apart. Although i do now use the controller to test drives)