1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC Cases - Blank Canvas: ITS OVAAA! Final photos up!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 28 Jun 2009.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Epic PC Cases - Blank Canvas

Starting a new project is always awesome and I typically find that the first day of modding is always the most productive. I have an unhealthy love of scratch builds and since I'm on no timelimit with this mod, I can also practice my unhealthy obsession with attention to detail.

The theme:
    This build is of course for my lovely gf and the theme revolves around a blank canvas, of which she will have to fill with art (ill just do the modding part). Her desk space is limited so I've gone with a simple, minimalistic design that should fit on pretty much any desk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sometimes I get onto bit-tech and look at other peoples mods and I just get the urge to start modding. Modding at night though, I dont recommend it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PSU, HDD's and CD Drive will all reside at the bottom half of the case. Ive measured and it all should fit, just.

[​IMG]
    You'll also be able to see the motherboard as the other two sides will be clear acrylic, all the wires will go behind the motherboard. The airflow will start at the bottom, come up through the case and exit at the top. There wont be any cross flow so all the heat will just follow the path upwards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In total there will be two 120mm fans and a top exhaust 140mm fan.

Still plenty of work to do, hell its only the first day :brrr:

Last edited: 10 Aug 2009
  2. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

looks good man looking foward to see ware you go with this :thumb:

3. giganten

giganten Artist

Looking good.
    Almost same idea as my project. will be fun to watch.

4. longwing

longwing What's a Dremel?

That's a really nice concept, and a great way to integrate her art with yours.

5. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Love the origanility of this dude! cant wait to see it finished with some art work on it :rock:

6. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

As am i lol. Probably the only scratch mod ive ever done without a proper plan :p

Ah yes I saw that, I will never be able to paint like you though...

Haha yes its very romantic in a geeky way.

I cant wait either.

And the wait only gets shorter with each update. Speaking of which, its time for one now.

Strap in

Buckle up

And prepare to be dissapointed...

I only got a small update for you guys this time but as the old zen master saying goes, one update better than no update at all.

[​IMG]
    This is a good view of the air flow inlets and gives an overall impression of how the whole system will work. Air enters from the bottom, up through the main compartment and then out through the top of the case.

[​IMG]
    This is supposed to be a picture frame but it looks kinda jap latern like so I thought Id give it a sliding door, just for kicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt have any self tapping nails on hand but i did one better.

I drilled into the acrylic and deep into the wood base, filled it with acrylic glue, sloted the bolt in and moved it around. Got up this morning and screwed it out, the glue created a hard thick thread :p

Some indoor shots to tie everyone over till the next update :brrr:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

really nice. keep it up. just one question. Are you going to use the plexi/ plastic bit as a lightbox?

8. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Indeed, I have some blue cold cathodes lying around and ill be putting them to good use!

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Do I spy someone playing wow in the background there?

10. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yeah, unfortunately my house mate cant get enough of it and hes one of those tragic cases that is playing when i go to bed and still there when i wake up for work.

Of course when im back from work hes still playing....wow addicts defy the need for physical rest.

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Oh man its soooo time for an update. Life sometimes gets in the way of modding but then what could be more important than modding?

Life?? pffft life wishes, life is just wayyyy too needy sometimes.

Soooo

I needed to build the HDD cage and space is kind of an issue here. At the bottom of the case im fitting three HDD bays, a powersupply, a CD drive and a housing estate for abandoned kittens. I dont have much room (or kittens for that matter).

[​IMG]
    So I got to the drawing board table saw. Worked on a space concious array for three drives.

[​IMG]
    I have a pre drilled HDD thread...thing. So I used that to drill into the new to be HDD bays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread fitted. That hdd still works too....I need some dead gear for modding. Where can I find dead HDD's, dead motherboards, dead CD drives. Would make work much much faster.

[​IMG]
    The final unshaped, unfiled product (until next time)

[​IMG]
    Heres the last photo with the obligatory close up shot.

Coming up is the motherboard tray, cd drive placement, psu installation and more!

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Yes.

Its time.

Being in Australia, you dont get the option of buying motherboard trays and yes, I would absolutely LOVE this option because building your own motherboard tray is tedious, annoying and involves alot of time and effort.

But in the midst of all my whining, I did manage to make some progress in this regard.

[​IMG]
    The name says it all.

[​IMG]
    Far from finished, this will become a full ATX motherboard tray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This isnt the hardware thats going into this case but on the length side its still ATX-esque. The full size will only just fit with cm's to spare.

I'll be working on the tray for some time yet and then I have some fitting issues at the bottom of the case as the PSU, HDD's, CD Drive and cables will all be stored below.

13. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Great concept! I'm sure Jessica will love it!
    Question - On the HD tray, it looks like you dadoed (grooved) the uprights to hold the tray piece. Is that right? If so, what did you use to do so? Just the tablesaw?
    Nice work on the mobotray!

14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

For the lettering I used a scroll saw, for everything else ive used a table saw, holes and stuff...mighty dremel. Havent had to bring out the heat gun yet although I might have it running in my room cos its mighty cold atm!

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Oh man I finished this thing without taking in between photos.

I did get some finishing photos though :p

I even managed a youtube with my gf even presenting the finished product :p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-W-9tcYNNU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case was alot of fun to make and I did manage to make it have quite a small footprint.

Eventually my gf will fill the sides up with sticker photos and what not, in a few months itll look like a completely girly affair. All done and ill be back soon no doubt :p I can never get enough of modding!

Last edited: 16 Aug 2009
  16. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

:) girly affair lol..

17. brumby92

brumby92 What's a Dremel?

hey Djayness. Brilliant case. Thinking of creating something similar for an art project of mine.

Any chance you could give some more info/pics on how you joined the perspex and canvas together?

18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

A really cool and interesting idea. Turned out great mate, very nice work.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2009
  19. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Basically just drilled a hole into the canvas and into the perspex. Tapped it and put an m3 bolt straight through.

To make the side panels removable for installations; I just glued a few pieces of perspex together to add thickness and tapped a hole through it. If she ever needs an upgrade, its a matter of removing the slidable motherboard tray, unscrewing the screws and adding the new hardware :p

Sorry once again for the lack of pics!