1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Battlefield Heroes Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 Jul 2009.

1. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

Impressive a 4 to BFH and a 9 to ARMA...

BFH was designed for you to be able to join a game with your girl like most World of Warcrafters could do... it's simple, it's shallow but it's also a good way to get into shooters since it doesnt punish your every mistake(though it does, you should play against me and then rewrite that part).

On the other hand we got the ARMA review which I was VERY EXCITED to try after the score I saw... All I saw was stupid bots in a coop-mp game. It's not even playable with such stupid bots, I'd rather play the "also-indie-developed-BF2-Mod" called Project Reality which really puts excitement into realistic milsim as you called it.

... Then again, everyone has his own opinion... but this was viewed from a very stiff standpoint.

2. Burnin'

Burnin' FPS gamer

"... Then again, everyone has his own opinion... but this was viewed from a very stiff standpoint" ..... Completely agree, specially in sites like bit-tech.net!

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm a hardcore geeky gamer as yourselves and most of the time I agree with all of your game reviews. However i DO know that this site (and the whole community around it) offers a very subjective point of view. That being said, this game wasn't designed for us. Joe points it out at the beginning the review too!

It's shallow, bland, offer's no sense of achievement whatsoever... Then again, it's quick, colorful, funny and most important of all.... FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I followed this from it's initial announcement way back when and it seems I have been sorely let down. I am waiting for BF1943, BF3 and BFBC2, all of which will be available on PC and are sure to be awesome lol.

4. Zeali

Zeali What's a Dremel?

I played the game for a day and all i can say that BF Heroes was one of the worst games i've ever played. The browser/game engine is totally crappy.

All i can is compare this to Quake live. Quake live is SO much better in every way. BF- Heroes seems like they have made the browser end just to piss off people where QL is really a "browser" game.

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Right, so all female gamers must inherently require simple, shallow games, because they are genetically predisposed to being less intelligent than the mighty cheeriokilla? Right?

I know plenty of girls (no jokes!) who play the same games I do, my GF is particularly fond of L4D.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into your statement? :duh:

6. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

I knew this would pop up since I mentioned FEMALES as a general group of women who mostly don't enjoy shooters, which is in fact, kind of true. I also have friends in TF2 which are females and my girlfriend LOVES L4D... but she HATES Battlefield 2 and she HATES Battlefield 2142, but mysteriously she loves BF:H... If you're offended by the generalization of women and gaming then my message is not to you obviously because you are not the mass to which I'm referring to...

I can say that as to men in flamenco dancing, dude it's not that common, ppl do it, but it's not common... k? k

7. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

oooo so close...

I agreed with what you were trying to say (although the way you expalin yourself needs some work) right up until the last sentence.

Men flamaneco dancing is just as common as women dancing it, in-fact the dance has specific parts for males and females which very rarely cross over so the two genders are doing the same thing. Never tried it myself but I try not to preahc based on ignorance.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

being the open minded chap that i am i tried to have a game this evening. 30 mins to install the game 5 mins to play through the tutorial then 30 mins mucking around with the match maker. Gave up played tf2.... Never mind EA maybe you'll get it right next time.

9. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Well, thats my fitness regieme borked then.

Cheers Bit-Tech...

10. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

I have been playing the beta, and to tell you the truth I quite enjoy it. Probably because I only play it at work for like 30mins at a time in my lunchbreak, but its still a fairly good game to play for short periods.
    Can definately see it getting boring if you try and go hardcore with it though. The combat is a bit more involved than you make it out to be though - obviously its not incredibly complex due to the very limited selection of weapons and equipment, but choosing the right combination does still have an effect. E.g, I play a gunner and use a long range minigun and short range shotgun, can normally decimate people who don't do weapon switching by just running straight at them and switching at a certain range.
    Theres also all the "talent point" based abilities which have an effect on your damage absorption/output.

11. zukhov

zukhov What's a Dremel?

This reiview is overally negative and rather misleading. For starters BF ( the bought currancy) will not give you better weapons or abilities. Everyone can have these for free with VP, the free currency you get for playing. Sure there are some connection problems, but the game is oficially still in beta, what do you expect?

As far as meeting their objective of providing a simple, fun and fast paced game Dice have totally suceeded. Anyone can jump into heroes and have a good blast . The maps are well designed and are simple enough to learn quickly.

I found the Bit Tech review to be overlly negative and strangley innacurate. Why?

12. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

Me and my borther found out that team work is VERY rewarding! We just join over and over until we are in the same server, and then stick together. Most people run around random, we stick to a group and cover each other. And we die rarely and kill often. And we are both low level!
    The game has a few bad points, but the tanks are fun!

13. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

cannot complain for a free game its oky. At least im not getting my ass wopped to paces like in arma 2 .. Jesus that games hard.

14. eeevan

eeevan Dremel Master

I played the beta and was turned off by it's mad jankyness, but I started playing the rel recently, and it quite nice.

For anymore who is basing their perceptions purely on the beta, give the final version a chance, it's been improved substantially.

15. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I just wish there wasn't the pointless browser add-on. A separate program would have been nice, seeing as everything is separate, the addon just tries to update the game.

16. TechM

TechM What's a Dremel?

I didn't mind it so much. Yeah, I think the game needs a little tweaking (not sure I buy the 'Teams are balanced by similar skill' claim) and a few variables need adjustment but all in all I found it pleasant. The charges are a little unreasonable. In order to buy three items of clothing for a character - one, of the four or five you can create - you need to shell out almost £20. Too much. Also, the game's controls are a little tricky to fiddle out when it comes to rapid switching of options.

I think it all comes down to tweaks to make it at least playable.

17. smilinrat

smilinrat What's a Dremel?

Actually Joe, there are actually 4 kinds of "points" in the game.
    Experience Points are earned in battles by capturing flags, and inflicting damage and killing opponents. Gain enough XP and your character goes up a level. Gaining levels opens up new choices in the character customization area (clothing store).

Hero Points are earned every 2 experience levels. They allow you to improve your current skills or add new ones. Each skill has 5 levels which increase their effectiveness. These points can be reset and reallocated at any time for free.

Valor Points are earned in each battle and can be used to purchase different weapons, explosives, and healing or repair items. The weapons and emotes expire after a set length of time, meaning you have to buy them again, while the healing items have a set number of uses (25 each). There are also a limitied number of clothing options available with Valor Points.

Battle Funds (not points) allow you to purchase both cosmetic upgrades (ie. clothes), XP and Valor Point bonuses, and emotes. The clothing can be purchased for 1 month in most cases, while a few can be purchased permanently for more money . The XP and Valor Point boost items increase the rate you gain these points to 150% of normal for either a day, a week, or a month depending on how much cash you spend. Emotes also expire after a period of time as well.

Although the game is technically free. They are really incentivising people to spend money on upgrading the look of their characters and especially on the point boost items. Without the point bonuses it is a slog to get and keep the more effective weapons and the healing widgets. I've played the beta for 2 months and have had my fill. If you are a "hardcore" shooter player I'd stay away. It's like running around in molasses with pea shooters, and the vehicles are ridiculously inneffective at taking out simple infantry. Here's hoping BF 1943 returns us to the glory days of old.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

While it's fun to play, the plane controls are very much optimised for console, the logon is flaky, the matchmaking is weak and the vehicles are a joke.
    Also, the "Verification mail" which you need to answer unless you cannot login again, was empty... weak start.

Yet, it's still fun to play...just like the original 1942

1942 in LAN mode is a lot more fun though (as ists better balanced)

Tags: Add Tags