1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Wireless Music Streaming Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [Sam], 3 Jul 2009.

1. [Sam]

[Sam] What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a setup which will allow music to be played wirelessly from a laptop. I'm pretty confident with the laptop and wireless side of things, but I'm less sure of how you'd go about receiving a wireless signal with an amplifier.

I've had a look into things like Squeezebox and similar products, which seem to use a wireless receiver unit with normal stereo outputs that would connect to an amplifier. The overall aim is to be able to load up a music player on the laptop, select a song and click play, and have it play through the stereo in the room with the receiver in.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up anything like this?

Many Thanks for any responses:thumb:

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

If the amplifier has an FM receiver on it, you could try one of these

3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Meh, it's just an extension of wireless speakers, so should be quite easy.

FWIW, I use a wireless guitar pack on stage, and it's as easy as plug in the source, plug in the amp, turn it on, and off I go.

This would be a good place to start - in particular, this (Link 5 from the first URL) seems pretty much what your decision's coming down to, and the forum's chock-full of goodies like that.

Sometimes, Google really DOES have the answer.

4. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

One of those would be illegal here in the USA, because of the FCC regulations. You guys over the pond should have something similar regulating it. If your using a wireless transmitter, it will be broadcasted to anything that will be able to pick up a FM signal. What you really want is something that does the same thing as an FM transmitter but broadcasts over an encrypted signal or something similar so that only authorized machines can pick up the signal and you dont get fined by the government. Hope this helps.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Nah, they were made legal for personal use a year or so ago I believe.

6. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Thats only in the UK then, because its illegal here to use them for pretty much anything else than automobile/personal use. @OP, check your laws. You could look into a Apple Airport Express and use Airtunes with it...

7. [Sam]

[Sam] What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about streaming music over a wireless home network (which would be encrypted), rather than transmitting things over radio.