1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards If you can't beat them then join or just copy them!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadow, 4 Jul 2009.

1. shadow

shadow honky ponky

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

If that means we get better ASUS boards from now on, who cares? Unless you're a die-hard Gigabyte fanboy i don't see why you would mind this improvement in the mobo industry.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think he's just remarking on the identical gimmick from both manufacturers, not actually complaining. :p

That board in the OP has a pretty decent layout, but what a fugly colourscheme! Ugh!

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, what's up with ASUS and their obsession with brown in the low to mid range? Surely it can't be THAT much less expensive than the other colors!

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Where's mah RX-78 Gundam-themed board?

2oz Gundanium Cheesecake!

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's probably a marketing trick to try and get people to choose a more expensive motherboard from them. I think ASUS can get away with it because there aren't many alternatives that offer the same thing as ASUS do so people won't go and buy a similarly matched Gigabyte/DFI/MSI/etc board instead.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Yeah, and let me tell you it works! But jesus, why **** brown? At least go back to the old-school green PCB!

Funny, because that's exactly what they made me do. Although i picked a Gigabyte EX58 UD4P over a P6T not because of the color, but because of the layout. Slightly more expensive but it also seems to be that much better featured.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

WHy do they always seem to make mobos with sata ports behind the pci-e slot :/

9. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Maybe they consider a nice colour like blue or black to be an overclocking feature :D "now featuring uber-brown-VI, which enhances overclocking by inducing a favourable and relaxed mindset in the overclocker"

10. Buddharoxor

Buddharoxor Fubar'd at birth

Its obviously meant to match Noctuas, duh.

:)

11. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

I'm going to agree with some other people here and say it's designed to get you to buy the more expensive boards. Pharmaceutical companies do the same thing. You know how they're required to (eventually) sell cheaper generic versions of drugs identical to the name-brand versions that they advertise everywhere? Well, they don't want people buying that generic version specifically because it's so much cheaper, as it means less money for them.

So they literally conduct focus groups to create the least appealing names for the generic versions as possible. All those weird pseudo-chemical names of the generic equivalents of name-brand prescription drugs? All fake. Every one. The idea is that the name sounds repulsive, and combined with the false reputation generic drugs already have for not being "the real thing," consumers will pay more money for the name-brand drugs - even though the generic ones are exactly identical.

I think ASUS is taking a similar tactic here. I took a cheap uATX board of theirs in that horrible brown color and clocked an E5200 to 3.45GHz on it, perfectly stable. It's not that it's necessarily worse, it's more that the eye-gougingly awful color scheme will probably drive people to buy a more expensive board. They probably won't get any new features (that they'll actually use, anyway), but hey - more money for ASUS.

- Diosjenin -

12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I think it's time to make mobo covers mainstream! HAH! Take that, ASUS!

13. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Man, that is a fugly motherboard! My granddaughter has diapers that color! Take me to the pretty ones! (Motherboards, not diapers.) ;P

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Everyone copies everyone, sometimes they change the name of the gimmick, some times they don't even bother. I don't care, wasn't the 2 oz copper proven useless already in the beginning anyway? Ugly color scheme and the S-ATA ports behind the pci-e? Meh.

15. shadow

shadow honky ponky

exactly!
    what's more: Asus which is to be considered better brand comparing to Gigabyte just copies some solution from them, it's just funny

16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I can't even work out what the gimmick's supposed to do.... the website has an icon claiming 50* cooler. But that doesn't make sense... RTP is like 20*C, and who's mobo gets to 70*C?