1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony dismisses price cut demands

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

...Because apparently Sony thinks that people like to pay full price for hardware that was released in 2006.

:-/

Sony didn't take this long to drop the price of the PS2, did it?

3. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

It may be the most powerful of the consoles, but unless sony hack the price down to 100-150 quid then sales are neva going to pick up....

4. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I just use my PS3 to playback blu-rays and stream media from my windows box doesnt get used for anything else, although on the odd occassion have to break out the XBMC to playback some files it doesnt like.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

great hardware in need of some steller titles, tbh couldnt care less about the price, puts it out of reach of the dole dossing chavs which makes online a bit more of a tollerable experiance.

6. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

there is only a handful of games that tempt me, imfamous being at the top of the list really. the PC doesn't seem to be catered for so much with that sort of game (please no one say Prototype) however i do get to use one 4 or 5 times a year when i visit my mate in London... they love it in their house but it really doesn't grab me at all.

Also i was appalled by the quality of the graphics on Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 and the shocking amount of slowdown on Splinter Cell Chaos Theory which made the game unplayable for me.

7. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Sony would do better to pump more money into development studios to create exclusives for the PS3. So far... the console does not have many 'killer' games for it to warrant choosing it over the cheaper Xbox 360.

And we all know that cross platform games are probably the same (if not better.. ahem GhostBusters) on the 360.

Bluray is a nice exclusive to be honest... but even that is not holding much sway now. My mate recently bought a standalone Bluray player instead of a PS3 because the difference in price was substantial enough to notice now, and he already had a 360. Plus we all know Bluray movies are simply overpriced than their DVD counterparts. (I still buy DVD's now despite owning a PS3)

I also think the Xbox Live / Arcade games are a cut above (in volume and diversity) the PSN PS3 titles out there too. Sony HOME 2nd life clone was a complete and utter waste of time in my opinion too.

The big battle for number 2 console crown is going to come from the unique motion control games that land on each platform. PS3's motion control is very different from the 360's Natal... and which ever is best may result in a huge boost in sales for the final leg of this generation's sale numbers.

(Note that the wii will remain on top in terms of sales, but will pale into insignificance in terms of gaming... its hardware is simply running out of steam, its online network/gameplay/sales channel is a joke and 1:1 motion seems to make bugger all difference to games... but Mario 4 / Zelda 8 / Wii Fit 3 will still rack up the sales. Yawn)

8. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

The PS3 has already had two price cuts.

9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

To be honest, there could still well be a price cut. If you had one planned for (say, Christmas) would you really announce it this early? People would just hold off buying the things, and Sony would lose a lot of money.

It would also explain why he doesn't seem to care or take the threats seriously.

I hope for their sake I am right. A price cut at Christmas could make a world of difference.

10. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure that's been happening since it came out.

11. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

Or do you mean when it went from 700$, to 600$ then down to 500$ when it should've cost 399$ max at launch.. Riiiiiiight...

12. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Fingers crossed it would slow down the proliferation of GH titles in general! That poor old cow has no more milk left!

13. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

That's the rub, it is NOT the most powerful, it has newer tech, that is more expensive (And terrible to code for nor really meant as gaming tech), unfortunately that does not make it more powerful when it comes to gaming. It is more reliable, and you do get more for the money, ill give them that, but the average red neck doesn't care or know about that, lol.

14. Lepermessiah

I disagree on the exclusives, the PS3 has a great lineup that rivals and you could say even beast the 360 now when it comes to exclusives:

Killzone 2
    MGS4
    Gran Turismo
    Resistance
    God of War III is gonna own
    Infamous
    Little Big Planet

That's just a few, the 360 has some good ones to, but to say the 360 has better games is no longer true, depends on the types of game you prefer, the biggest issue with Sony is perception, cost.

15. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

Here, so your "exclusive" games list is quite thin in girt compared to the 360, but mind that I don't own a PS3 nor 360, but If I had the choice between the 2, i'd go Xbox for price and user base for online play.

16. Lepermessiah

thin? No, it isn't, the 360's list is also quite thin, exclusives are not too common now adays, plus, those are just the ones I listed, i missed a lot.

17. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

I'm not looking at "exclusive" games only, look at the catalog as a whole, and you see that the 360 as more appealing games (to me, at least) than the PS3, and part of that is due to the fact that the PS3 came out a year late compared to the 360...

The only games that were missing were the FF games that Sony had exclusivity on them, but now well see how this pans out.

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Keep those prices high SONY, if you would.

I would like all publishers to abandon support for all consoles. And then for f*ckwits (sorry, "casual gamers") to abandon gaming all together. Then maybe i'll be able to play a truly decent and original new game for the first time in ages.

19. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

PS3's exclusives include pretty much every genre. On top of that its exclusives, as a whole, rank higher on Metacritic than 360's. Lastly, if you want to get a good comparison for what exclusives are out for each console just go to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games

360's is much thinner. Also, how many of those 360 "exclusives" are going to turn up on PS3 after their timed exclusivity runs out?

20. Lepermessiah

The 360 has a WEAK lineup this year, the PS3 has some biggies coming, the exclusive argument really is not one anymore, eprception, dumb americans (LOL), and prioce are Sony's only issues now. It comes down to what games you prefer, but Sony has Just as many top AAA exclusives if not more now.

Tags: Add Tags