1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asked before but problrm not solved.

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by unknowngamer, 6 Jul 2009.

1. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I'veI had a go with this about a year ago and had no luck. But I'm just getting some new kit and thought I'd have a go again

9 new PC's, AMD 7750 blacks with a oc'd 9800gt's on XP.
    Should be good little folders, especially seeing as they in an air con'd room.

Anyway.
    They run XP on a domain with a 2003 server.
    Pull network settings through DHCP and IE settings though group policy.
    The problem is the proxy/filter/gateway.
    All trafic has to go through on port 8080 (http) with username and password
    The proxy is a censornet box, which is a version of dansgaurdian, each internet connection is accepted ONLY with a username and password.

It never accepts them.

Other apps can connect fine, just not FAH.

I cant seem to get the traffic through.

I could setup a box to forward work units thats outside of proxy, but now Idea if this can be done.

Any ideas?

I'm just setting up the new PC's now, so I'l give it a few try.
    Just thought I'd get the question in now so I can try some stuff in morning.

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Could try using a tunnler to connect the clients to go through port 8080

I used to do this to play games, msn anything that needed a port or was blocked i could get to at school :)

http://www.your-freedom.net/

follow a guid on like WoW basicly use Socks to select the FAH client instead of WoW.exe

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

4. spt

spt What's a Dremel?

We run censornet at our school, I will get my tech to have a look at this thread and see what he can advise you as we have fah working through it.

5. RSoP_Robbers2706

RSoP_Robbers2706 Often called Sheldon Cooper

Hi Unknowngamer,
    I'm sorry for the delay in getting in touch with you!

As SPT mentioned, we run CensorNet in quite an odd fashion.....

We actually have several proxy servers due to having 2 networks. At present, most clients interface with the CensorNet proxy.

We originally ran the open source version of CensorNet however the education license that we discovered has provided the ability to block anonymous proxies and filter traffic in a more consistent fashion. Which version do you use?

<OFF TOPIC>
    At some point, this will change slightly so I may be back posting some information for any else who is in a similar position to ourselves as myself and an extremely creative colleague (who has done a grand job with our VLE) aim to direct all clients to our VLE (Frog) allowing control over the internet access of each and every workstation. We then aim to divert Frog traffic through CensorNet since the filtering system in Frog as anyone who has used it will be aware, is very basic!

We have tested this and I have been doing a little tweaking and further testing before pushing this out for use.
    </OFF TOPIC>

When we began folding, I tried a few clients through CensorNet out of curiosity. The first issue is that we encountered was that we have a schedule partially configured on CensorNet. Granted, a constant internet connection is not required however, for some of our suites, the internet control is on a manual operation meaning that the internet could be disabled over a weekend etc...... Not good for folding if a WU completes.

To make life a tad easier, it appeared easier to configure the folding client to use the main incoming proxy server provided by our provider.

I appreciate that our config is perhaps a little complex but the features that it provides as a result out weighs the complications we have come across.

If you could provide any more information on your CensorNet box such as the version etc, I'll send you as much info as possible! :)