1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New MechWarrior confirmed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jul 2009.

1. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

This looks good but I was always terrible at the Mech games, but I'll give it a crack.

Did anyone else here play and like Mechcommander? God I used to love that game lol.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

mech commander was awesome, difficult but awesome.

3. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

I read the interview and have high hopes! There were a few times when I read something that suggested that really boosted my confidence in the game, overcoming the few doubts I had. For example, in being concerned about making the game accessible and allowing it to be played on the xbox, I thought that they might end up making a game with less of a sim like quality than favorites of the past, such as MW2. But I was happy to be quite wrong!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p5.html

Overall, I'm really psyched about this. And as to what some people were saying earlier, no, it really doesn't seem like you're locked into a set class of mechs.

I think the idea of emphasizing the advantages of different mechs is great, and makes more sense now than ever before. E.g. jump jet capable light mechs being able to tactically stand atop many buildings without destroying them, whereas the buildings would collapse under the load of heavier mechs. On that note, of the things you can get better at as a pilot, it would be nice if you could specialize to take less damage from deliberate collisions, particularly death from above jump jet attacks. This makes more sense than any other upgrade I can think of, as it's about your core ability to pilot.

It looks like information control will make lighter, more agile mechs far more interesting to play. As they were saying, targeting doesn't just stay locked all the time -- escaping and disappearing is now very feasible. This allows you to around in an urban map and take down much heavier, slower, far better armed mechs by using superior tactics, particularly if you're working with a team. This is fantastic.

4. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Indeed. Had the luck of finding a second hand version of the Gold Edition with the original and the expansion. For 3€! :D
    The game was much easier if you managed to salvage the MadCat from the 3rd mission.

MechCommander 2 was weird, though.

6. Gavo

Gavo The Tall One

One of my favorite games. Maybe that's just nostalgia. NOVA!

7. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

You're thinking of Steel Battalion on the Xbox

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i didnt like mech commander 2, it felt as tho you had no real control over the battlefield, nor was there any satisfaction for taking down something 3 times the size of your entire team.

there was a patch to GIVE you the madcat from mission 3 after microprose got so mny complaints of it being too hard, amusing thing was you had no pilots that could use it effectivly that early on :D

i have several copies of mech commander kicking about in my collection :D

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    A patch?
    I had the luck of geting the MadCat on my first run through the game (back in 98/99).
    Finding that Gold Edition for 3€ was probably my best game purchase ever.
    Have to see if it is playable in Vista/7 x64... ;)

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i sure loved to run around with a raven or a catapult full of long ranged missiles.... or lots of short range ones.

i also loved to remove all electric weapons from a knight and put projectile ones, the LBX IIRC, one omega strike and that atlas would be without a leg.

talking about an atlas, i remember killing one with one of those light mechs that was geared for insane speed :p.

the shadowcat was also fun to use, played more than half the game with it.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

I was a fan of the Large Lasers. Any kind, Clan, IS, ER, IS...
    Four of those in a 70-80ton chassis, full armour, jump jets, enough heatsinks to be able to shoot all four at the same time twice without overheating and I was ready to battle.
    The Nova Cat was a great chassis for that.

I didnt like ammo dependent weapons.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

**** yeh! Thanks for the info!

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I keep trying to find the IS and Clan mechpacks... and never succeed. :(

Maybe I just don't hunt enough. :)

16. rOBvAN

rOBvAN What's a Dremel?

Gees, here I was thinking I was part of a minority of Battletech Universe fans. Really starting to rate the bit tech community!

Also...

+1

17. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

i honestly missed the series :), hope they dont break it in anyway..

18. knownballer

knownballer What's a Dremel?

FINALLY!!
    I've been waiting so long for the next pc release for MechWarrior. Didn't think it was going to happen with Microsoft's move to console games, though I did enjoy the console versions. It's gonna be interesting to see if they keep with the simulation roots on the pc and xbox 360 or make a different version for the console. Hopefully the pc version at least will keep to it's roots.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Well, found my MW4 CDs, installed without any problems on Vista x64. :)

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Thanks for notifying, hadn't noticed this!

I never got to play MW4 or its expansions because I didn't want to infect my system with C-Dilla.
    Mech4: Mercs, thankfully didn't use C-Dilla so I wasn't totally bereft of Mechwarrior joy, but it'll be nice to finally get to play MW4.
    As long as they strip C-Dilla out of it, that is.

Tags: Add Tags