1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits How to set up Folding@home

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Jun 2009.

1. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

Errrrm.. why does SMP give more points than 2 regular clients? I don't quite see how it can be more productive unless you get more points the sooner you finish or somthing??

Plus the SMP client sucks. I just want to download, unpack, and run it when I'm not using the PC. Not to have to install the software. Why is there a 32bit and a 64bit SMP client? Last time I checked, my CPU cud run 32bit apps ok, and yet the 32bit client just crashes.

The GPU client also laggs up my system quite a bit. ATM I'm running 2 regular clients and one GPU client all console version. The GPU client seem to get much more done than the other 2 put together. My system is Athlon X2 2.1GHz and 8600GT.

2. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

I would suggest reading up on the science behind Folding on Stanford's website. They also have a page documenting their Folding achievements to date.

A much worthy cause if you ask me. :)

3. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Ok, tried this, but no go. The GPU client just doesn't seem to work on my machine. Maybe it's because I'm running 7, but FahMon just keeps reporting it as paused, while the tray client says it's runnig. The logs show no errors, I see no progress being made by this. So, so much for folding...

4. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

If you are refering to a 7 series geforce gpu then you are correct about the no progress as you a series 8 geforce and above or a 4000 and above ATI for the client work.

5. zagortenay

zagortenay What's a Dremel?

I wonder who pays electric bills of those all "fools" who "fold at home". Even the name "folding" disturbes my nerves.
    Ask your governments to spend less money on weapons and fund scientific research more. Money is there, but they ask for your hard earned money to be dumped on such a weird project that you don't have any kind of control on.

6. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Hi, just set up my 8800GTX as a folding client for the team!!
    Just to add a comment to your article re GPU death. I have a whole lot of 'hit in my single waterloop (dual CPU, RAM, chipset) but my 8800GTX core temp is 47C while folding... Would highly recommend WC for anyone who is going to leave their GPU's folding 24/7 and don't want to go deaf/kill their card!

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'll ignore the slightly paranoid pseudo-political rambling at the end and address your first point - yes, it is wasteful to run computers unnecessarily, and folding is a big power draw, so (depending on your viewpoint) it may not be a justifiable cost. Personally, I fold during the wintertime as the waste heat from my PC heats my flat. Makes sense to me to do something useful with high entropy energy (electricity) on its way to becoming low entropy energy (heat) so rather than turn up the radiators I fire up the PCs and PS3 and fold away. As far as I'm concerned, either way I get x kwH of heat into my flat, so I'm folding for free.

In the summer (or what passes for summer in 21st Century Britain) however, I don't fold at all - my flat is a massive heat trap and I can do without anything adding to that unless it is unavoidable.

Tags: Add Tags