1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Watercooling Maintenance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rOBvAN, 10 Jul 2009.

1. rOBvAN

rOBvAN What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I am a watercooling virgin and am seriously considering using it for the first time in a media center/folding PC as it needs to be dead quiet.

What I was wondering is how much maintenance does water cooling require as in the future I may not have access to this PC very often? The first thing that comes to mind is topping the loop up with water. Is there a way to monitor water levels?

Cheers

2. NoPrisoners

NoPrisoners I love my dremel

They need more maintenance than air cooled. Once up and running you need to check the water level and change the coolant every 6 months to a year (depending on how mucky its looking) and clean out the loop.

A quiet air cooled set up may be a better option if you can't keep an eye on the watercooling.

To monitor the water level without opening the case is to fit a reservoir in a spare drive bay like this.

rOBvAN likes this.
  3. rOBvAN

rOBvAN What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the reply. Very helpful. +rep

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

As long as you keep an eye on levels, and water colour then its fine, i wouldn't say change coolant to often, only when its really discoloured.

Over the summer period levels can drop quickly due to increases in ambient temps.

Cooling for a media/folding machine dosen't need to be overkill. What will be the specs of the machine, i bet you could air cool it for cheaper and result in silent running as well.