1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI N260GTX Lightning Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Jul 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looks like an exciting card, maybe one to pick up 2nd hand for some OC'ing fun. :D

I don't mean to be critical, but there's no "velocity" increase, just frequency.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's meant to be creative and inspiring the thought of your games going faster, rather than being technically correct. There's only so many times you can say the same word in an article :p

4. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

At the least this is a card where they really have made some major diffrences, you see many cards there has been given a slight overclock and then send out as "extreme edition" or equal.
    Here thay have at the very least made some major changes, and even solved a problem I would say should have been up to Nvidia and not a third party.

But in the end you can only say nice try, but not quite up for the price

5. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

"Austin Elegro" ?

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Allegro perhaps?

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Nice card but far too expensive in the current market.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I would love to see MSI apply the same thinking to a GTX 295 or HD4870X2. Whack a water block on it, and you are away!

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We've got a review of the 285 watercooled MSI on the way :)

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"It's like spending a couple of grand on chrome rims for an Austin Elegro"

Lol.... i think you will find thats Austin Allegro.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

But what are the noise levels compared to a stock GTX260 (or Gainward's custom cooling solution for that matter)?

Also, I believe the GTX275 Twin Frozr would be much better value for money than this "Lightning" series GTX260...

12. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I dont think this is a case of, lets make a fantastic card... but more a case of, lets see if it can be done, lets see if we can make the card better in all aspects where nvidia have potentially gone wrong and if it actually works.

Now they have the knowledge on how to do this and they can see that it works, theres not stopping them actually going for a gtx285 variant or a gtx295 (provided it actually comes out on a single PCB). I think it would be worth the extra £50 or so on top of the standard card price just to have the stability increased when overclocking and an all in all better quality product.

Andy

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeah, I'd have been a bit more impressed if it had been a 275, 285 or 295...

14. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

The temperatures was what turned me off this. With that expensive looking cooler all they can do is 3 degrees. Pah

Same thing + fix the temperatures + 4890 and I will buy 3 of them.

15. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

"The box is super sexy but, much like a good girlfriend, it's going to stay under your bed and rarely be heard of despite its great looks" what the heck are you on about?:rolleyes:

16. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

For about $150, I got a superclocked 260 216 from evga off of newegg. And at that price point, compared to its competition, it's absolutely a beast!

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

For the price, no. DX11 is around the corner and this can't even touch the 275.
    But I saw one on Sunday at an event, and man, I really like the look of the HSF cover.

18. trig

trig god's little mistake

yeah, too little too late...

a:you can get a gtx 260 stock for $150, I don't see the performance benefit to warrant another $115. 77% price increase for (other than stalker) a 5-10% performance increase? sure it oc'ed well, but your mileage may vary, and the stock gtx 260's oc nicely...
    b:you can get a 275 for $200 now
    c:the gtx 275 with the same "great" cooler is $235...

19. imoson

imoson What's a Dremel?

It's not M-35 Lightning II, it's F-35 Lightning II. Lol, they should have used a F-22 Raptor rather than a F-35.

20. SiliconDoc

SiliconDoc What's a Dremel?

Page 7 " Fallout 3 was a consistently bad result for the Lightning. It was unable to play the game smoothly at 2,560 x 1,600 with 4x AA or higher. "
    --
    LOL - Yes, I'd bet those with near $2,000.00 monitors to get to that resolution have an overlcocked GTX260 to match up with it. What a joke this review is.
    Did our little website get all standard stocked nvidia cards, and a healthly supply of overclocked or dual ati cards?
    Where is the 295 ? Why is the dual red card in every review, but no dual nvidia ? Why are the red cards overclocked, XXX, or toxic versions presented, but never is the nvidia card overclocked ? At least in this review they gave an overclocked number during the test instead of saving the OC numbers for the second to the last page then displaying them only by themselves and not in comparison to the red card they declared a winner but was beaten by the ocerclock.
    Nice. It's amazing.
    I can get 2 games, Terminator Salvation + COD plus the overclocked out of the box MSI GTX260 for $145.
    The CHEAPEST 4870x2 is $360.00 with ZERO games.
    The cheapest 4980 is $190.
    -----
    I keep HEARING there's some kind of red deal, but it ain't HERE.

Tags: Add Tags