1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC sales to take a dive in 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's because we keep telling everyone not to buy pre-built.

Horizon likes this.
  3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

yeah would be interestig to see mobo sales

alothouh more than just economic climate can affect that such as everyone being generally happy with their dual core / quad core rigs currently

i would expect huge purchases of Lynnfirld however

4. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

More people seem to be buying Laptops & Netbooks

5. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'd never dump my desktop for a laptop, mainly because of the heat that comes off the GPU's (105C on my sister's 6100 go during ePSXe on chocobo racing T_T) the lack of good LCD viewing angles (2209WA Cheesecake!), the touch pad, the small keyboards, yes I can buy an external mouse + keyboard and use a monitor via the VGA port but if I did that what's the point in having a laptop? ^_^

But as for pre-built sales it doesn't surprise me one bit, how many people now know a friend or friend of a friend that can build computers? People don't usually charge friends for building them comps and you'd get better more balanced specs + no OEM crap! Seriously who needs bloatware?

6. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Also,

Self-Build PC's are lasting longer too. Earlier this year I upgraded my self built PC to have a 260GTX and Q9550 and overclocked them both rather than purchase a whole new PC based on i7 which would have spanked my wallet big time due to new mobo and memory required.

The most demanding game for PC's is still Crysis probably, so if your PC is coping.. why buy a new one.

7. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

Haha, nice one :D

Tbh. It's not notebooks fault. They've been around for ages. It's netbooks. Underpowered tiny laptops. where did i read 6 out of 10 dont leave the home...

I think dell needs to die. Their cases are horrible. Keep people like alienware...

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

They're the same company, just different brands, and when it comes to build quality and price they're just as bad as each other.

Blame it on netbooks and laptops. It seems they're now powerful enough and portable enough for most people to prefer them over a desktop system.

Note that the 4% figure is based on all PC sales, including netbooks/laptops.

9. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Yup! My Mom's case is horrible on both the outside and inside and has just 'died' randomly... Nothing! Go dell. (no bias that I've had to image 20 new dell laptops at work is there?! :D )

I guess people question weather they really 'need' new pc stuffs if their's does the job. I'm running a crappy old one, (pre-built mind) and it's still chugging along off of free upgrades.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

people are preferring to eat instead of buying new stuff...

11. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

Windows 7 will boost sales at end of year, but the climate and laptops (Netbooks and Notebooks) have taken over desktops, but I feel that people are starting to see there is still problems with them, mainly they don't last long. I repair more laptops for hardware problems than desktops, the heat and movement kills them! People will return to desktops.

12. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Unless you abused credit and caused the 'problems', you can have food and computers!

13. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Interesting that Intels financial results are beating experts predictions - I wonder if iSuppli would be another 'expert' to be proven wrong?

Bloomberg News - "Sales will be as much as $8.9 billion in the current quarter, Intel said yesterday (14/07/09). That compares with an average estimate of $7.86 billion in a Bloomberg survey of analysts."

"Intel reported a 12 percent jump in second-quarter sales from the previous three months, the largest sequential increase since 1988."

14. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

I blame developers for only making console exclusive games and using the piracy card as an excuse:grr:

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

only if you live somewhere that is not here....

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well the economy sucks and on top of that there is so many dumb people walking around bad mouthing Vista and then there is to many people praising windows 7 (Im one of them lol) so most people are like well Im not going to buy a system until Windows 7 is released then.

17. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

I meant to say that people are asking me to get laptops and netbooks for them as opposed to building them a system.

18. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

Heh..

I'm still using a 939 nF4 board with an Athlon X2 3800+ ^_^; The 8800GT makes most things work well enough though.

I want to upgrade somewhere along the line - definately missed out when Q6600's were around the £100 mark - but right now I can't afford it. It's not really to do with the economy so much as having kids now.

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

-5%? Let's face it, if you compare that to the numbers of other industries you almost have to say only -5%.

Of course, that logic is flawed since the dawn of netbooks further reduced the already paperthin margins

20. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

If manufacturers would start shipping NVIDIA Ion chipsets onto Netbooks, then maybe they'd go up. (Maybe)

Tags: Add Tags