1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DVI Cable PCI Passthrough Idea....comments?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by monkey120101, 8 Jul 2009.

1. monkey120101

monkey120101 My right hand is a Dremel.

Hello everybody! As stated in the title, I had an idea to use 20 or 24 pin atx motherboard power connectors to pass a dvi cable through pci slots. Here's a more detailed and yet simplified explanation:

Two holes are drilled in a pci slot cover.

Two dvi cables are cut near the pci slot

The two dvi cables are each pushed through each hole in the pci slot cover.

The corresponding cables are soldered to two 20 or 24pin connectors FOR EACH cable, (depending on how many cables are inside a dvi cable), female for the section closer to the pci slot and male for the longer section of the cable.

The four connectors can then be attached to each other and the case can be moved around.

I am asking this because I have done a recent Powermac G5 modding project, The Nehalem Apple, and would like to implement this idea because the dvi to hdmi cable doesn't support OS Scaling of games and there are some games I'd like to play at 4:3. Additionally I am considering purchasing another, smaller monitor, so two cables would need to be made.

Any comments? My main concerns are the cables emitting different frequencies (they wouldn't be shielded at the soldered sections) and them interfering with each other. Thanks!

2. monkey120101

P.S. I also don't like the lack of a pci slot cover in the back :)

3. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Why use the poer cables? DVI cables are cheap, and you can find additional DVI connectos at a parts store.
    Instead of using a PCI slot cover, use the IO sheild from a dead PCI video card with dual DVI capabilities.

But I'm also not sure I understand your HDMI problem. The connector should not be a limiting factor. What the monitor reports it can do, and the driver should be more relevant to the problem unless I completely misunderstand it.

4. Dreamslacker

Dreamslacker Minimodder

Wouldn't it be easier to say...
    Cut out 2 small holes from 1 side of the PCI expansion slot cover and run the cables in directly?

Something like this:
    Code:
     ________     _______________     _______
    |        |   |               |   |       \__
    |        |   |               |   |          |
    |        \___/               \___/        __|
    |________________________________________/

You'd run the 2 cables through the open slot first then guide the cover in place so the cables fit through the slits cut into the cover.

5. monkey120101

That is a PERFECT idea! However, there is one key problem....the dvi connectors don't fit through the pci slots! I've ordered a female to female dvi adapter, and will just make a short dvi cable coming through the pci slot and then hook it up to another, longer dvi cable. It's just a nuisance having a long video cable running our of my pc every time I want to open it up or change something. I appreciate everybody's help! I'll probably post up some pics of what I meant and what I've done.

6. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

Would the DVI cables fit through the PCI slot if you filed it down?
    There's a metal plate around the DVI connector, but it's not like you can't file down metal.

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remove the red and it should fit, yeah?

Last edited: 12 Jul 2009
  7. monkey120101

I'll try that, thanks! Cable and adapter should arrive soon.

8. monkey120101

Thank you everybody! I've trimmed the cable, only to realize that there is a HUGE black object (I forget what they are, something to do with limiting interference) further along the cable which DOESN'T fit through the pci slot. Anyways, I've come up with a completely radical solution, pictures and process are available on my log, to be updated soon!

The Nehalem Apple :thumb:

9. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I'd be concerned about signal degradation and/or interference. The DVI cable is probably shielded and/or twisted pair for noise reduction, so you might lose some video quality if you run it into a big unshielded connector with lots of splices.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I guess he's talking about the ferrite ring around the cable, not the shielding.

11. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

just cut the PCI plate and install a Female-Female DVI in it

12. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

That's what I was trying to convey in my first post. And the slot cover from a dead dual DVI card would negate teh need for any cutting.

13. monkey120101

It was too tight to simply install a female to female cable in a pci slot, but NOT in a custom fan hole mod :D

Yes, I meant the ferrite ring, thank you. Anyways, the solution's been updated in my worklog. Thanks for all the help :)