1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What is your MPG?

Discussion in 'General' started by Matticus, 10 Jul 2009.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I just took my family down to grandparents few days ago.

195 miles there.

Fiesta Mk6 1.4 Zetec, with four people and full boot, it did 46.5 mpg.

I was very impressed, especially after reading about someone on the ukfiestanetwork getting about 25mpg when driving like a granny, which I wasn't, :D.

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

29 to the gallon.

3. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

I really think some people are missing the point of this, anyone can put up a picture of their onboard CPU while doing 25MPH in 6th gear and get a great mpg rating, or redline it and get a really low mpg rating. It's just a snapshot of what you were doing for that split second, what's far more important, and the point of this thread, is working out what mpg you average over a tank of fuel...

*rant over*

4. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

That depends greatly on the granny in question;

[​IMG]

5. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I drive a 2008 Lancer GS4 2l Diesel standard town driving around 45 - 50 mpg, motorway driving at a steady speed of 70mph i've got 55mpg, at lets say higher speeds can go as low as 40mpg.

Also drive a 2008 Fiat Scudo Van 2l Diesel, get about 39mpg out of it, thats always town and dual carriage way driving, not bad for a van!

6. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Thats what I do when I'm driving plus I don't have a trip computer.

Thing that makes me laugh about the Almera is the SR20DE 2l GTI model has a higher MPG than the 1.6l engine in the Si version

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

just wondering something here... how can we compare diesel and gasoline vehicules when we're talking about MPG ? Both fuels aren't even the same in any aspect.

I see two utilities in calculating the MPG of a vehicule. 1) See how much it polutes 2) see how far you can go with a single tank.

The latter doesn't change no matter what fuel you use. If two cars, a diesel and a petrol, have a 50gallons tank then whichever has the highest MPG will go the furthest. That's fine with me

However when it comes to pollution, diesel and gasoline are different. So if (let's pretend) diesel pollutes more by gallon used then what happens now ? How can we compare their MPG ?

sorry the post isn't really clear but I am not sure comparing MPGs of diesel, petrol, european and american cars is really objective

8. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Good thread.

My average over the last few months has been 18.7mpg.

Surely MPG is ONLY for comparing cost over distance? Not pollution.

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Here in Colorado emissions is mandatory inspection every year. No pass - no plates.

If it has plates we can discuss MPG.

john

10. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

The difference being I was not doing 25mph in 6th, and that's the average over the trip (147miles - 50mph/60mph), I could post what I get out of a full tank, but violence might ensue :rolleyes:

11. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Same here, but they dont measure the MPG - they measure the emissions.. so I don't see your point?

12. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

40mpg (6l/100km) in a bmw 530d touring

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My point was emissions Diesel vs Petrol are for another discussion. This is mpg thread. Hard enough to get a handle on US vs Imperial and conversion of US gallon to EU measures.

john

14. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Diesels are "less" polluting than Petrol engines anyway.

My 2.0L turbo diesel is 150g/km2 CO2 and the 2.0L turbo petrol engine in the same car is 175g/km2 CO2.

They're enough less that the UK yearly car tax is cheaper, but not enough less that you're actually making a difference to the environment.

15. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

My 1.4 (100hp) Seat gets 30-33 when I average it out over a whole tank.

Ouch :(

16. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

1994 BMW 316 - Averages 38mpg on short motorway runs (15 miles each way). Longer runs I get up to 45mpg depending on how I drive, traffic etc.

1992 2.0 VW Corrado gets about 35mpg on motorway drives.

2006 1.0 Corsa "Life" Petrol. 42 mpg ish.

Surprisingly good on the Corsa considering how hard it has to be pushed to actually get anywhere (rev limiter is hit regularly but what can you do when its a freebie company car)

17. ben_jt

ben_jt What's a Dremel?

Another data point for you guys (of both genders):
    early 2007 Toyota Auris, 1.6l Petrol with VVT, 50 litre fuel tank and 2 litres more in the filler pipe*

Driving to and from work in the summer I'm getting great mileage, averaging 43-44mpg. Once I add motorway driving (slightly heavy right foot, ahem) in there or winter conditions from earlier this year (minus six in Hampshire, wtf) it drops to about 38-40mpg average over a whole tank. I've not emptied a tank entirely on city driving, but I suspect I'd get about 36mpg. I usually fill up before it complains that it thinks it's empty, so I get 380-400 miles off a tank of fuel, which currently sets me back £45. When did diesel and petrol suddenly become the same price again?

Driving it like I don't pay for the tyres, I once got it as low as 26mpg on a 50 mile cross-country run. But I don't intend to do that again for a while, I probably should have gained a few points on my license for that...

* shame the on board computer nags about 0 miles remaining from 5l left, so I never run it anywhere close to dry to work out full mileage off a tank, I can get 400+ miles if I push it below zero a bit.

18. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

ben_jt, its probably not geared for motorway driving, my mondeo gets better mpg on the motorway than it does in town. As far as the temperature goes, does the temperature gauge for the engine reach the same point in the cold weather?

19. ben_jt

ben_jt What's a Dremel?

It certainly isn't geared for motorway driving sadly - 5th gear is stupidly long, so I'm doing about 4k revs at 80 indicated mph (actual 75). It certainly has the power for a 6th gear, alas it hasn't got one.

Regarding the temperature - it does get up to the same point on the gauge in the cold weather, but it was taking a lot longer in the really cold snap we had. Normally it takes about 3-4 miles to get up to temperature, when the ambient temp is below zero and the car's been outside all night, that goes up to 8 or so miles. Which makes a big difference on a 13-mile commute!

20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Not all computers work like that. The one in the Mondeo had 2 modes... instantaneous, and average, so you could work out both. The one in the Mustang ONLY has an average reading. You can put your foot flat into the carpet in second gear and the reading won't move (unless you carry on doing that for ages, or reset it while you're doing it).

Over the period of emptying a tank from full to empty, they're pretty accurate.

Now I think about it... I can't think of a single car that ONLY has an instantaneous type fuel computer... because it would be useless... it would constantly be changing.

For example, I reset it before the 320 mile trip home a few weeks ago, and set teh cruise control to 70 once on the motorway, travelled non stop, and didn't deviate much from that speed. Surely once I arrive home, that is my MPG at 70mph. Likewise, I reset the computer, and did nothing but hammer around a racetrack ALL DAY, and emptied the tank... again, surely that's the MPG under such conditions.